Golf team is swinging for Victor-y

Girl’s golf team acquires new head coach
Ellie Claire Gordon
Team Captain Hannah Hernan and Coach Victor strategize for their match against the First Academy.

The Trinity Prep Girls’ Varsity Golf team is known for having one of the best teams in its respective district each year.  This past school year, Trinity Prep Athletics has acquired many new staff members, including coaches, assistants including a new Athletic Director.  One of those new coaches is Girl’s Varsity Golf head coach Richard Victor, who will look to continue the success of the program as well as take it to new levels.

Victor has 35 years of teaching and coaching experience. He has been a collegiate basketball head coach and assistant, as well as a high school basketball and golf coach for many years. Although he has coached many sports, basketball and golf are his two favorites.

Coach Victor looks to improve a golf team that was runner-up in the district tournament last year and lost only one senior.   The team’s oldest player and captain, Hannah Hernan, is a member of the junior class.

“He’s a great coach. He is very positive and encouraging even when someone gets frustrated,” Hernan said.

Since there are no members of the senior class on the team, the team is the only Girl’s Varsity fall sports team without a senior. Although the team is young, Hernan views this as a positive thing.

“I think it is great how young the team is because it means the girl’s golf team will continue on and hopefully get better,” Hernan said.

Victor agrees with his team captain.

“With as young as our team is, people would say to be happy with getting through the district tournament; I want to go to state regardless of the age of our girls.  I want the opportunity for the girls to go to state every year,” Victor said.

Although he admitted that states every year might be a little far fetched, he is focused on winning.  Even though winning is very important to him, his number one priority is his team.

“I have the opportunity to coach at a premier academic institution with great kids that want to continue to get better and better. Building a program is not about wins and losses; it is about having people that want and strive for the best. We might be young by age standards, but we have the desire to be really good.” Victor said.

This young team should be on everybody’s radar.  The players have the ability to prove their coach right within the next few years and make a serious run into the postseason.  As young as the team is, it has potential to be good for a long time.

View Comments (1)
BRADLEY HULL
BRADLEY HULL, ONLINE EDITOR
This is Bradley's third and final year on the Voice. Returning as a seasoned veteran, Bradley will take on the role of Online Editor this year. More importantly, he will look to win his first Adi Shakti Fantasy Football Championship. But probably not. The fantasy universe hates him.

• P

Privacy GatewayOct 24, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Great article

Reply