Senior football players strive for success

As Trinity’s 15 senior football players took the field on Aug. 22 for their final “first” game on Hubbard Field, the tone was unusually serious for a preseason game. It was apparent from play one that Monteverde Academy was no tune-up for the Saints. The Saints had been training hard to prove once again that they are a serious contender, and it showed.

Unfortunately, in a 18-6 victory over Monteverde, the Saints suffered injuries to key players.

Early in the game, starting junior quarterback, Jared Herron, went down with a deep shoulder contusion and slight hairline clavicle fracture. His replacement, junior Karl Schreck, suffered from a severe concussion in the third quarter.

Herron was slated to miss a month and Schreck two weeks. Not even an hour into the Saints’ highly hyped season, the walls appeared to be crashing down.

The squad needed a new quarterback, and Jalen Cayo was chosen. Previously listed as a wide receiver and defensive back, the senior had big shoes to fill.

When asked about his new role and the added pressure of leading the team, Cayo said confidence is key.

“I’m always a confident person, so nothing is changing that,” he said. “Honestly, my confidence comes from the support of my teammates. They are making me feel like, even with a third string in, we can still win games like we’re supposed to.”

Senior Jack Lilley believed that Cayo could do it, but along with his other seniors, Lilley was determined to push himself even harder to pick up any slack.

“The only thing I can personally do is play to the best of my abilities and create chaos for the opposing team,” Lilley said. “I believe Jalen has the ability to perform under pressure and compete. There’s no one I’d rather have as the quarterback given the situation.”

Senior Michael Wartski agreed with Lilley and added that the goal remains the same regardless of who’s playing.

“You have to play the cards you’re dealt, and we still have games to win on Friday nights,” Wartski said.

The following week, the Saints took to Hubbard Field again—this time to prove they were not defined by the loss of any one player.

In a weather affected and convincing 33-18 victory over Agape Christian, the team did more than start its regular season on a high note.

Senior Johnny Evans believes the team hasn’t lost any momentum since the end of last season.

“We all feel confident playing the game just because we’ve been doing it for so long. Also, I think we have really good chemistry; everybody on this team genuinely likes each other,” Evans said.

Not only is this team strengthened by its 15 leaders, but it is also bolstered by its storied coach Mike Kruczek. In his second year at Trinity, Kruczek and his team will attempt to build on the success forged last season.

The coaching staff instituted new higher-octane systems on both sides of the ball. This fast-paced and heavy-hitting style will help the Saints wear down opponents.

“Coach Kruzcek has made it clear that if you want to be the strongest you’ve ever been, win and become the best football player and person you could be, then come play Trinity Prep football,” Wartski said.

In his brief time here, Kruczek has begun to create what the Trinity family hopes will become a winning tradition.

This atmosphere combined with veteran leadership has sparked a new respect for the football team both inside and outside Trinity’s fences.

Now that the program has laid its foundation, new players and play style changes will only help improve the team this year and far into the future.

A growing group of ten juniors are helping this year’s seniors and the outlook of the team in years to come.