Coach Hudson Returns to the Court

Trinity rehires varsity basketball head coach
Kayla Alexandre
The new basketball coach, Irwin Hudson, calls out a play. The team played their first preseason game against Windermere Prep.

After the departure of the previous varsity basketball head coach, Trinity has re-hired Irwin Hudson to lead the program. Hudson was the varsity basketball coach at Trinity for two seasons from 2013-2015 where he led the team to one of its best seasons ever.

Hudson brings a substantial amount of experience to the program as he’s been coaching junior varsity and varsity teams for 27 years. He has coached at many different high schools across Florida including Oak Ridge, Lake Howell and Bishop Moore. In addition to coaching high school, Hudson has coached AAU basketball for 15 years and owns OHoops, a highly successful AAU program that specializes in basketball training.

Hudson has already made an impact on the program even before the 2020 season kicked off. He has been holding high intensity workouts for the players two days a week to prepare for the season.

He has also worked to form a Trinity AAU team where athletes have had opportunities to play in multiple tournaments, playing teams like Windermere Prep and St. Cloud.

“The chemistry is really what we’ve got to build right now,” Hudson said.

According to Hudson, one of the keys this year is going to be how his players work together. With some of the players on the team transferring into the school just this year, Hudson said he must work to build up the chemistry on the court moving forward.

“If we work together, then we’ll win together,” he said. “They have to know their role, know their position, and play to the best of their ability.”

Hudson sets high expectations for the team this year.

“My whole life I shoot for the moon, and if I miss, I’ll be amongst the stars,” Hudson said.

Hudson said he’s followed this mantra throughout his coaching career. Before the season even started, he set out goals for them. He wants to win the state championship after winning regionals and districts. Although this is a tall order, it’s something he truly thinks the team can accomplish.

Hudson puts a huge stress on the importance of the staff around him. He’s brought a few coaches with him this year to help him accomplish these goals and lead the team to success.

Hudson is working with four other coaches including Mitch Valdes, Clyde Williams, Justin Fountain and math teacher Eric Schneider. All of these coaches work alongside Hudson as assistant coaches, and Williams works as a strength and conditioning coach to make the team stronger and healthier.

“I feel like now I have got the best coaching staff in town,” Hudson said.

Coming into the season Hudson can already see the team’s potential. With multiple college-bound players and an incredibly experienced coaching staff, he is extremely enthused for what’s to come.

“I really am super excited,” Hudson said. “I tell [the players] everyday, we’re looking great team-wise. We’ve got a lot of talent, skill and experience.”