Fall Teams See Loosened Covid Rules

Anna Miliotes
Freshman Victoria Hill spikes the ball at the opposing team during a game with many more fans due to the loosened rules. On Sept. 8. Trinity Prep beat the Masters Academy with a score of 3-0.

An image of a girls varsity volleyball game last year would have shown the coaches and players with their masks on at all times on the sidelines. However, since then, the vaccine has come out and allowed for relaxed restrictions. While there are still some limitations, the lessened regulations have made it easier for players and coaches to interact with each other.

“Ever since the regulations haven’t been as strict, we have been able to feel more connected and not have the distraction of masks on our faces,” junior Bianca Whatts said. “When you are on the bench, it’s easier to communicate with the team on the bench and with the players on the court.”

The new rules allow the team to go about its normal practice routine, and this includes the weight room where athletes no longer have to wear masks. Fewer restrictions on the team have made life easier for the players.

“One thing that’s different from last year to this year is now we don’t have to wear a mask during practice,” Girls varsity volleyball head coach Terri Kruczek said. “During competition, as soon as the girls came off the court they were supposed to put their mask on, but they were allowed to be without it during competition.”

The team is hoping to be district champions for the third year in a row, and the less strict regulations will only help them on their path to districts. 

Last year, the boys and girls cross country teams had to follow some rules and regulations to keep their runners safe from the ongoing pandemic. These restrictions limited their ability to train effectively and efficiently.

“So last year, I had the boys and girls teams split up for practices, pretty much,” varsity cross country head coach Sara Dowdy said. “Also, we could not do morning workouts because we could not shower. However, this year we are able to do morning workouts again so it is better.” 

As of now, ther team will still be participating in the Citrus League that was formed last year with six schools: Bishop Moore Catholic, Lake Highland Prep, Montverde Academy, The First Academy, Windermere Prep and Trinity Prep. 

The Citrus League championship will be held on Oct. 20, but Dowdy said that unlike last year, the team is allowed to compete against other teams now.

Another outdoor sport, the boys varsity football team, was also put under strict regulations last year due to COVID-19. 

“We had to wear a clear shield over our helmets that acted like a face mask, and this year we do not have to wear those anymore,” athletic director and boys varsity football assistant coach David Langdon said. 

With the removal of these masks, the players said they are more comfortable in their helmets when they are in games and practicing. 

“The shields were uncomfortable and annoyed me during the season, so I am really glad that we do not have to wear those again this season,” junior Jordan Acker said.

Another change in regulation since last year is the attendance of fans. Langdon says that for outdoor sports, there is really no limit, and for indoor sports, the capacity is at 75%. 

“Our first home game this year felt a lot different than last year because the stands were a lot more packed,” Acker said. “The fans give us motivation, so the fact that more fans are allowed to come this year is really cool.”