Bowling Team Strikes Through a Historic Season

For the first time in school history, the girls’ varsity bowling team will be bringing home a district banner
The+girls+varsity+bowling+team+had+a+successful+season.+They+won+first+place+at+districts+for+the+first+time+ever+and+continued+on+to+the+state+championships.+
Courtesy of Susan Frederick
The girls varsity bowling team had a successful season. They won first place at districts for the first time ever and continued on to the state championships.

For the first time in school history, the girls’ varsity bowling team will be bringing a district banner home. The team won first at districts and advanced to regionals and states. The team has sent individuals to states before, but this year was the first time the entire team went to states. After a successful 15-3 regular season, the team cruised through the district and regional games to end up at states. 

“It was definitely exciting to be the first girls’ bowling team to go to states and hopefully there will be more years added to that in the future,” senior Elizabeth Bias said. “We started off a good run.”

The team has been working for this since the beginning of the season, and their hard work paid off. 

“We practiced four days a week, and I pushed for our schedule to have 22 games instead of 16 during the season,” Varsity Girls’ and Boys’ Bowling Head Coach Susan Frederick said. 

It was the first time going to states for many of the girls, and they said it was a different experience to be competing at such a high level. Bias said it was her first year on the bowling team, and that it was a great experience. 

“Well there were a lot more teams there, and the teams were all much better than the teams from the regular season,” Bias said. “So before, we weren’t used to having as good of competition that we faced at states. We were winning almost everything during the season, and then we got to states and the competition was a lot better.”

Besides the competition, going to states as a whole team was a special moment for the coaches and players as they were making school history. 

“It was one of the most exciting years I have had in all my 22 years at Trinity Prep,” Frederick said. “I cannot even describe my happiness for these wonderful athletes I got to work with.”

The girls were led to success by sophomore Amanda Lang. Lang racked up many accolades this season including being named the number one female bowler in district seven, placing first at districts and tying her school record with a score of 247.

“It means a lot because my goal for a while was to place first in districts and then also go to states whether it’s as an individual or as a team,” Lang said. “So, it’s just really special and a great accomplishment.”

The team was able to bond throughout the season through their success.

“Going into the Baker’s round during districts our team had a lot of energy, and the chemistry during the season was great,” Lang said. 

The team consisted of five players, and two of the five players were seniors. Looking towards the future, Frederick said she is on the look for new recruits for next season. 

“We want to have a little post-season party because we have graduating seniors that we need to replace,” Frederick said. “We’re hoping that hosting this little bowling party will show us some new recruits to have for next year.”                      

Frederick said that the future is bright for the team and with the help of new recruits, the team will hopefully have more success in the coming years.