Rolling Into the Record Books

Junior Amanda Lang has record breaking season earning Orlando Sentinel Player of the Year.
Courtesy of Amanda Lang
Amanda Lang poses after a match at Aloma Bowl.

As Amanda Lang walked up to the lane for her final frame, she felt the nerves rushing through her body. Knowing she was only a few pins away from a school record, Lang took a deep breath and reset her mind. Lang stepped up and bowled the ball, knocking down enough pins to break the school record by four. After accomplishing this feat, Lang set the goal to keep breaking her own record every year. Her persistence and dedication to the sport have led to her not only fulfilling this goal but also earning the Orlando Sentinel Player of The Year in her Junior season.

Lang had an incredible 2022 season, winning her district for the second year in a row and averaging over 200 pins per game. 

“I was consistent throughout the whole season,” said Lang. “Consistency and practicing often led to me being district champion and going to states.”

Despite struggling in states, Lang placed 25th amongst female bowlers after an incredible regular season. Lang found much success this season, breaking two of her own records along with others, including an individual game score of 255 and a series record of 686.

“It felt great to break those records,” Lang said. “it’s been a goal of mine for a while and I want to break them every year I’m here.”

Lang has been a starter and key contributor to the bowling team ever since her arrival in sixth grade. She was already above the average high school score, and within the next two years would break the school single-game record, bowling a 247 in the eighth grade. Head Coach Susan Frederick said that while Lang has impressed her as a player, her growth as a leader and two-time captain stands out to her the most.   

“She’s the most serious bowler I have ever seen when she is in the zone,” said Frederick “She’s grown by being able to get out of that zone and be a great leader on the team rather than just being focused on her game.”

Lang credits her success in the lanes to a good mindset and mental toughness. Lang said that, unlike other bowlers, she is able to not get too hard on herself after a bad game and quickly bounce back.

Frederick is certain that Lang can compete at the collegiate level and has the confidence that she will continue to be a great player for the duration of her time at Trinity.

“She’s definitely talented enough [for college],” said Frederick. “Her future is very bright. She’s one of the most humble, successful athletes I’ve ever seen.”