Victory On and Off The Field

New Athletic Director Colin Sullivan values both academic and athletic success
New Director of Athletics Colin Sullivan cheers on the football team as they play against Taylor High School (THS) on August 25. The final score was 6-44 in favor of THS.

Seventy percent of students on campus participate in athletics, and their experiences are dependent on the decisions made by the Athletic Department. Filling the role of Director of Athletics and Physical Education, Colin Sullivan plans to strengthen all athletic programs and foster an environment where athletes can succeed on and off the field.

“I’ve always looked at athletics as a cocurricular expense,” Sullivan said. “It’s an extension of the classroom where we think people should learn, and we’re going to work to develop the whole student-athlete.”

Athletics have been an important part of Sullivan’s life since he was young; his father was a coach and inspired him to participate in as many sports as possible. Sullivan competed in cross-country and track and field at Mary Washington College, receiving all-conference honors all four years. Following his collegiate career in track and field, Sullivan was a coach at Iona College while also gaining an M.B.A. in Human Resource Management. 

Once Sullivan completed his education, he ended his coaching career and worked for multiple collegiate athletic programs including Marist College, Salve Regina University and Brown University. 

“I was lucky that I got to work at two Division I institutions that put a real high value on student-athletes and their overall academic experience,” Sullivan said.

After spending over 30 years working in collegiate athletics, Sullivan decided that he wanted to put his skills to work at the high school level. When considering leaving Brown University, Sullivan took into account the influence he could have on the development of high school athletes.

“I was looking for a new opportunity and I wanted to go to a place where I could have an impact,” Sullivan said. “I feel I have a wealth of experience having been on a college campus for so long and I know that [Trinity students’] aspirations are to get to college and if athletics are a part of that maybe I can play a role in helping [them] get there.”

Finding success in both athletics and academics is rare for the majority of high schools. While searching for a new place to work, Sullivan was impressed with Trinity’s athletic accomplishments and academic rigor. 

“I think the thing that attracts me to a place like Trinity Prep is that it’s a place that obviously values academics, but also values athletics and believes that the two can be a wonderful compliment to one another,” Sullivan said.

Sullivan has many plans to grow Trinity athletics, including strengthening middle school programs. Under his guidance, middle school physical education classes and athletics will help develop athletes that are able to find success at the varsity level.

“I think we need to develop some operational efficiencies and how we manage our athletics program from middle school through varsity and how middle school athletics and physical education end up supporting varsity athletics,” Sullivan said.

Another way Sullivan wants to grow Trinity athletics is to create a culture that inspires student-athletes to put forth their best effort and strive to win. 

“I want us to compete, to win,” Sullivan said. “You don’t lace up your shoes and put on your jersey if you don’t expect to win.”

Although Sullivan emphasized the importance of a competitive spirit and strengthening athletic programs, his main priority is to ensure the happiness and well-being of student-athletes. Athletics have been a major influence in his life, driving him to work to inspire high school students the same way he once was.

“Athletics have been wonderful to me because they’ve helped me build some wonderful relationships and friendships,” Sullivan said. “I’ve been fortunate that I’ve been able to do the work that I love and love the work that I do. Athletics have been a big part of that.”