Faculty finds fantastic futures

Over the past 45 years, many teachers have passed through campus and have greatly impacted the lives of students, even in their absence. Ed Malles and Elizabeth McIntosh have both moved on to a new stage of their lives, but a piece of them is still remembered here today. Memories of a teacher’s class are often triggered in unexpected ways, such as the slightest reference to a topic discussed in that class. Teachers and advisors shape the way their students perceive world, and with their influence, students’ are able to view the world in different ways.

Malles moves across miles

Photography has been documenting lives for over 100 years, and a new stage of Ed Malles’ life is being recorded as he settles down in Seattle, Washington.  He left his position as photography and yearbook teacher last year to brave the colder weather and bask in the beautiful landscapes.
Malles has taken living in Washington to heart, attending fly fishing classes, skiing and of course, still taking pictures.

He also took his love of the Civil War with him across the country, although he traveled farther from the Civil War front.  Malles is now active in the local Civil War Round Table and is even going to give some programs later in the Fall.
One of the perks of retiring is the newly relaxed lifestyle for Malles.
“I haven’t worn a tie since Trinity. The style out here is very casual and that suits me. I’ve had to add some down, flannel, and hooded jackets to my wardrobe along with gloves and boots, especially now that I’m scraping ice off my windshield. Snow flurries are always a possibility.”
Malles has even digitally published a photography book named The Beauty of Everyday Things in the Blurb bookstore.
“I take pictures all the time,” said Malles, “Photography has always been my first love and that won’t change.”
Malles has embraced the changes in his life with enthusiasm, taking on the colder climates as many more Pacific Northwesterners travel to Florida to escape and soak up the sun.
“Unlike Florida, there are very distinct seasons here and I’ve had fun esperiencing them. I got so tired of the heat in Florida that now, with daily temps in the 30s, I’m finding odd enjoyment in the cold conditions,” he said.
Malles has begun a new chapter in his life in which he misses Trinity, yet is eager to embrace what the future has to offer.

McIntosh makes memories at camp

Arrive at Camp Glen Arden in Tuxedo, North Carolina on the first day of summer camp, and you may see Elizabeth McIntosh meeting and greeting arriving girls with her famous t-shirt that reads, “Camp friends are forever friends,” a motto she strongly stands by. She believe in those words because she has spent almost 40 summers at Glen Arden, both as a camper and as an employee.
Now she is a co-director at the camp after leaving her position as the Director of Alumni.  She started attending the camp when she was nine years old and fell in love with it that summer.   Now she is able to help manage over 100 girls who stay at Glen Arden over the summer, sometimes for weeks.
The camp is a place where girls are able to explore their more adventurous side, a place where they can embrace the idea of being women of the wilderness.  Campers can participate in paddling, rock climbing, camping, horseback riding, and more all while returning to camp grounds, home to a 300-foot waterfall.
The sense of community is also a prevalent at Camp Glen Arden.  Singing around a campfire brings the girls closer after long days of adventuring.
“It’s a nice way to live,” said McIntosh.  “Each summer is different.”
McIntosh’s journey with Glen Arden has given her the responsibility of ringing the same dinner bell that her young camper self once listened for summers ago.