Nonprofits pave pathway to prosperity

Courtesy of Jessica Kotnour
Junior Jessica Kotnour (right) signs her tax exempt form with her mentor Debbie Stockton (left).

Passionate about making a difference, juniors JessicaKotnour and Molly Wuerz have created and currently head their own nonprofit organizations. (NPOs).

A nonprofit organization is an administration that uses its profits to improve its services rather than distributing them as dividends to investors. Notable nonprofits around the world include the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

Some NPOs found on campus are Camp Audeamus and No Curtains Closed.

Camp Audeamus

In her hopes to raise awareness about mental illnesses, Kotnour founded her nonprofit organization Camp Audeamus.

“Our goal is to use our own experiences with  OCD to provide love and support to each camper who walks through our doors,” Kotnour saiid “Through a fun camp atmosphere, campers can be themselves and enjoy activities, friends, and the outdoors.”

OCD stands for obsessive-compulsive disorder, which is an anxiety disorder characterized by recurrent thoughts and repetitive behaviors. Kotnour was diagnosed with OCD about two years ago. After undergoing therapy for a year, she wanted to make a positive impact by helping those who suffer from OCD.

“If you have ever lived with a mental illness, you know how isolating it can be,” Kotnour said. “There needs to be a place where kids with OCD could be with other kids like them so they can exchange stories without trying to hide their OCD.”

In addition to the camp, Kotnour also heads additional activities to inform others about mental illnesses.    On January 12, Camp Audeamus will hold a 5K walk to raise awareness about mental illnesses and fundraise for the camp. With the growing size of her organization, Kotnour has a group of directors who assist her in her endeavours.

“[My] board of directors (Debbie Stockton, Donna Walker, Didier Menard, Bill Eissele) basically consists of a few of my favorite people,” Kotnour said.  “I first asked them for support, but they have acted as mentors, cheerleaders and anything else that I may need.”

Committed to her organization, Kotnour dedicates hard work and countless hours to the betterment of the camp.

“Honestly, every free moment I have is devoted to the camp,” Kotnour said. “If you’re not willing to parallel park for your cause, then don’t do it.”

No Curtains Closed

In her efforts to provide performing arts classes to those who cannot afford it, senior Molly Wuerz launched the organization No Curtains Closed.

From the 2007 production of Tom Sawyer to the most recent theatre production Mame, Wuerz has participated in more than 20 plays at the school. She is also president of Drama Club and currently involved in Starving Artist Studio’s production of Chicago.

“Theatre has had such a huge impact on my life,” Wuerz said. “I wanted to be sure that everybody else had a chance to experience the effects performing can have.”

As founder of NCC, Wuerz has learned a lot from previous experiences in the organization.

“Being a part of this organization has definitely changed my view of the business world,” Vice President Lauren Nix said. “We have accomplished a lot so far, and several things are planned for the future. I hope to inspire our students and break the stereotypes surrounding the performing arts.”

Furthermore, NCC strives to give aspiring artists the confidence and publicity needed for them to succeed.

“The best part, as cliche as it sounds, is knowing that I’m going to make a difference,” Wuerz said. “I know that because of NCC, some kids will get to have exposure to the performing arts that they wouldn’t have otherwise had.”