From Big Ben to the Serengeti, get ready for the trip of a lifetime

In the upcoming year, fascinating new trips have been planned for students to do during their breaks.  On the trips, students will have the opportunity to visit and learn about various attractions as well as gain a memorable experience alongside their peers.  The new trips for this school year include a spring break trip to England and a ten-day trip to Africa over the summer.

Tally ho! Welcome to England

With their combined passion for English

literature and theatre, AP Literature teacher Susan Lilley and Fine Arts instructor Donna Walker will take a group of students to explore England for ten days. From their previous experiences, both Lilley and Walker have an extensive knowledge of the country.

“I actually spent a semester in college in [England],” Walker said. “I have a weakness for all things British: British Royal History, British humor and television shows, even the way Brits celebrate holidays; nobody does Christmas for kids like the British. I [also] have an affinity for British literature and theatre, from Arthur Conan Doyle to J.K. Rowling.”

With her expertise in all things English, Lilley has also visited England numerous times and has developed an appreciation for it.

“As a lifelong English major, I love seeing the places that inspired great works and where my favorite classic authors were raised,” Lilley said. “I also feel a connection to British history, which is reflected in so much literature. [England] is brilliant about preserving the past in fascinating and often gorgeous ways. There is so much to see. I want to go back again and again.”

The ten-day trip begins with a tour of the Lake District. Students will then progress to Yorkshire and Stratford, following a trip to Oxford. Then, they will spend a day exploring Bath and conclude  their trip in London.

“Ms. Lilley and I have been planning this trip for over a year, and every time we meet to discuss it we become increasingly enthused, thinking of new things to incorporate into the trip,” Walker said. “Not to mention that we have a group that I know will really appreciate what we are going to see, and who also know how to have ridiculous amounts of fun.”

Highlights of the trip include tours of Skipton Castle and the Roman baths, as well as visits to the homes of notable authors like the Bronte sisters, Wordsworth, Shakespeare, Dickens and Austen. Students will also have the opportunity to explore the famous sites of London and see a West End production.

“On our trip, students will be able to see first hand the culture that is the original basis for our own,” Lilley said. “From the regal heraldry of a bona fide royal family to the cozy hospitality of a tea room nestled in the fairyland hills of the Lake District; from the exciting, glittering streets of London to the ancient Roman ruins in the festive town of Bath, this country rocks some major variety. And we are taking in a lot of it! Literature lives and breathes here.”

With everything that England has to offer, it has many hidden gems that tourists often overlook.

“There are things I would like to share with interested students, such as a bookstore specializing in old and collectible books that I used to visit off Trafalgar Square,” Walker said.

“I always prefer going off the beaten path. I would much prefer to shop along Portobello Road for example than the mainstream stores.”

As an attendee of the trip, Sophomore Kerstin Heinrich is excited to revisit England.

“I’m really fascinated to return to England,” she said. “I’ve been to England before but have never seen it from literary or theatrical perspective, which will be really interesting.”

Although Walker and Lilley have firsthand experiences in England, both remain very enthusiastic about their upcoming visit to England.

“[I’m] excited to go, and excited to share my love for this magnificent country,” Lilley said. “Hail Brittania!”

Beautiful photographs frame the African adventure

From the wildlife in Tanzania to the oceanic setting in Zanzibar, students will have the opportunity to take a photographic journey through Africa this upcoming summer led by AP Photography teacher Ryan Bowden.

“When we visit Africa, we will see both sides,” Bowden said. “The stereotypical image of Africa of course, but I also want students to experience the parts that you wouldn’t normally see.”

In their journey to Africa, students will be able to visit many cultural attractions including Serengeti, the Ngorongoro Crater, and the national parks of Tarangire.

“I want to give an experience to students that’s once in a lifetime. Africa has a distinct location and is definitely a place that people don’t usually visit,” Bowden said.

Because of its unique environment, Africa is a suitable place for aspiring photographers to see.

“To provide the opportunity for students to get out of their comfort zone and refrain from their stereotypical experiences is what will really benefit them as photographers,” Bowden said. “I often find that the photography is better as well when students aren’t in their comfortable environment.”

Eager to return to Africa, junior Simran Sharma is enthused to see Africa from a new perspective.

“I’m excited to see different parts of Africa that I haven’t seen before,” said Sharma. “I think it will be an amazing experience and I can’t wait to see how everyone else on the trip will react when they see how beautiful Africa is.”

With its wildlife and historical buildings, Bowden is fascinated to explore every aspect of Africa.

“I am absolutely excited,” Bowden said. “My bags are already packed.”