School Spirit Soars

SAM MILLSON
During the Homecoming pep rally, Bosco led the cheer for a glorious victory.

When the new mascot’s name was announced at the final fall pep rally in October, a victorious roar erupted from the anxious audience.

Boys and girls proclaimed the name of the inaugurated legend, Bosco. However, Bosco is not the only object redefining school spirit this year. With a winning football record and an emerging student drumline, our school is reaching the summit of cheerful bliss.

The Rise of Bosco

In past years, the cheer squad and colorful pep rallies determined school spirit. However, at the beginning of the football season, a mascot named Bosco was introduced as a character to bolster student enthusiasm.

Bosco is not our school’s first mascot. In fact for many years, our school was represented by Nutty the Elephant. However, Nutty was discontinued by the administration due to a lack of connection to our school’s history, loss of student interest, and the deteriorating state of the elephant costume.

After years of a mascot vacancy, the administration took the initiative to revive the tradition. However, this time the school is represented by a character far more relevant. The school won’t be associated with an elephant named Nutty, but by Bosco, a knight and a saint.

Bosco’s costume was designed and produced by Mark Manisso, CEO of Forte Creates, with input from students and administration.

The whole school wanted to create a figure that was not only appealing but was also an adequate representation of the student body. Thus, out of this popular demand, Bosco was born.

“We wanted to create a lovable yet fierce character that would rally support for our teams and be a playful fan. We also wanted a character that could be an ambassador for the school at events and performances,” said Director of Development Carolyn Wisniewski, who was one of the leading figures in Bosco’s creation.

However, Bosco’s character has more significance than just being a rallier of school spirit. He was named after St. John Bosco, the patron saint of education.

Despite all the compelling eccentricities of the friendly saint, this new personage is surrounded with a thick cloud of mystery. Every student on campus wonders the same very simple question: who is Bosco?

Like other schools and universities, the identity of the “Student behind the Saint” is a closely guarded secret. This strategy allows people to focus on the character of the mascot, not the person inside.

There are currently several students who perform as the mascot, and the administration is accepting applications. Students interested in applying to be the mascot should contact Cheerleading Coach Susan Bentley.

In reality, anybody can be Bosco, which is perhaps the most important aspect of our new mascot. By making Bosco a fluid role, which can be played by a different student at each occasion, the administration and student body established the perfect ambassador for our entire school.

The Beat of the Brandished Drums

Latin teacher Kyle McGimsey and Science teacher Jonathan Gray love attending our school’s football games. One day, they heard the rhythmic beat of drums.

This appearance of the UCF drumline caused Gray to reminisce about his high school days, where he was an active member in a drumline. He remembered that it was extremely fun and that it added a great vibe to the game atmosphere.

McGimsey, a pep enthusiast and the recipient of the Spirit Award last year, observed the UCF drumline and was quite impressed. When he heard the undisputable pros about being in a drumline, McGimsey immediately wanted to help his fellow teacher bring a drumline culture to the school.

“We thought that it presented a wonderful opportunity to get students more involved and excited at games,” McGimsey said.

As our sports teams rise in the ranks of high school athletics, the intensity of school spirit must rise with it.

“While we do not know whether a drumline will help our athletes win games, we aim to create more energy in the stands and provide a morale boost to the players on the field, creating a more enjoyable experience for all,” McGimsey said.

The new student drumline is in the beginning stages. The drumline plans to have an array of instruments, including two bass drums, two snare drums, one set of tenor drums and even some cymbals. McGimsey and Gray have both acknowledged that the main inspiration for their vision is the UCF drumline, which has now performed at several varsity football games. They have also recognized Mike Rogers, the assistant track coach, as being a fundamental catalyst in helping out with this ambitious vision.

“[Mike] Rogers has had experience with drums and drumlines for much of his life, and he is helping us to create something special,” McGimsey said.

With the help of so many individuals, the student drumline is guaranteed to become a game day staple. Currently, the students involved in the drumline practice three days a week and are preparing for their big debut. Sophomore Demetri Crane is excited to be a part of this evolving group of musicians.

“I love being part of the drumline. I can see us becoming better by every practice,” Crane said.

Until the day of the drumline’s debut, the student body anxiously waits for the inauguration of this talented group that will make sports events even more exciting.

As our sports teams become stronger and more successful, school spirit must evolve as well. With the addition of our mascot Bosco and the emerging student drumline, school enthusiasm is definitely matching the success of our teams.

As we progress into the future, students, faculty and alumni can not only expect an improvement in our athletics programs, but also a pivotal increase in school spirit, guided by Bosco and the new student drumline.