From optime to sobresaliente, foreign languages conquer

Sixteen students will head to the Wydnham Resorts in Orlando in March to compete at the Florida State Spanish Conference.
Courtesy of Amarilys Heard

In the upcoming weeks, the Spanish and Latin language departments will attend various academic competitions that enable students to personally experience different cultures. These conventions attract participants from all across the state, and their purpose is to promote learning foreign languages in the new generation. From Spanish costume contests to Latin quiz bowl, these competitions provide opportunities for students to fully immerse themselves in an environment where languages and cultures are encouraged.

Spanish team prepares for cultural exposition

With an interminable passion for her native language, World Language teacher Amarilys Heard is leading the Spanish Competition Team to another successful year in the Florida State Spanish Conference. A team of up to 16 students will attend the conference from March 13 to 15 at the Wyndham Resorts in Orlando. The team has won first place in their division for eight consecutive years, and this year everyone has been working harder than ever.

“Last year, the majority of the team achieved the rating of sobresaliente, which is Spanish for ‘outstanding.’ Our skit has also gotten perfect marks for the past few years,” senior Toni Cross said.

Essentially, the conference is a Forensics tournament in Spanish, and students participate in speech events including Impromptu Speaking, Declamation and a skit. Each entry receives one of the four assessments: Bueno, Excelente, Superior or Sobresaliente.

“Last year, I did a poem by an Afro-Cuban author, and I was able to do some further cultural research that I might not have done otherwise,” Cross said.

All team members are required to participate in Impromptu Speaking in which participants give a two-minute, non-memorized speech on a given topic. Declamation is an oral presentation of poetry by authors from different Spanish speaking countries. There are also smaller events encompassing dancing, singing and playing a musical instrument. Everything is centered on the beauty of Spanish language and culture.

“The language is brought to life, and it is completely different from reading the fake dialogues in class,” Cross said. “You may enter a room full of people and give a speech in an entirely different language about a topic you don’t feel comfortable with.”

The team practices pieces throughout the year, and that normally guarantees success in the competition. This year a multitude of seniors have taken on leadership positions.

“The students are all very dedicated and they like to compete, but I think the greatest friendships get formed through the process,” Heard said. “I cherish the inside jokes and the team dinners.”

The convention has helped many students gain confidence in their abilities with the Spanish language, especially since the speaking aspect of any language is always the most difficult. The competition also drives students to master the language at their own pace.

“The students usually know that their teachers will appraise their efforts in class. But it is different when they get the approval of a panel of professional judges,” Heard said. “The satisfaction of being understood allows them to gain confidence through this competition.”

The competition allows participants to succeed in Spanish class. But overall, the competition allows students to earn a greater appreciation for the language.

“Anytime students put the language in context, it becomes a skill that they aim to master,” Heard said. “Students are able to see the value of Spanish influences especially living in this community, and they  realize that we are moving towards a global community. I hope that our students take part in that.”

Ad astra per aspera! Latin team strives for the best

From toga days to spirit competitions, the Latin team is back to conquer the Florida State Latin Forum after two years of attendance. Last year, the team came in 9th place out of 42 schools in the Overall Academic Sweepstakes, and this year they are hoping to place higher academically. The team has brought the Latin language back to life, and their passion is obvious as they claim that it never died in the first place.

The Florida State Latin Forum, or Forum, is an annual competition that encompasses academic tests, art competitions, speaking events and costume competitions.

This year, Forum will take place on April 3 to 5 in the Wyndham Resorts, Orlando. The team of 25 joins over 900 students. The competition is sponsored by the Florida Junior Classical League (FJCL).

Through the competition, students are able to realize where our Western civilization comes from and where we are going.

“If you have seen how loudly we cheer at the spirit competition, you might think that we are insane,” sophomore Sylvia Choo said.

Apart from creative projects and academic tests, Forum also holds a Publicity contest. Essentially, students advertise their Latin program outside the school by making posters and advertisements, and they earn points based on their participation. Last year, the team won first place in the Publicity contest, and they continue to spread awareness of the language to the entire community.

“Initially, people tell you to study Latin because it helps you with vocab, but there is so much more,” sophomore Saumya Sao said. “The culture and history are so great.”

This year, the team is working harder than ever to make Forum a year to remember as they all agree that the memories are priceless.

Along with their bright signs saying “Latin lives,” the team encourages all students to consider taking Latin.

“Latin is actually not as difficult as people think,” Choo said. “There is a systematic organization about the language that makes it fun and easy to learn.”

As Choo joins other Trinity students to attend the annual conferences on their beloved foreign languages, Trinity enjoys another successful year of helping its students become global citizens.