Women STEM from the norm

Ellie Claire Gordon
Jasmine Sinanan-Singh builds an impressive robot in a competition. She hopes to pursue a STEM career after college.

In 1949, only 5.5% of students entering medical school were women. Nowadays, that figure has risen to 45.6%. Over the last sixty-five years, many women have been able to defeat the stereotype of domesticity and acquire high-paying professions in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. Undeniably, this increased involvement of women in these types jobs is far from plateauing any time soon.

For example, in 1983, 13% of engineering degrees were awarded to female students. In a period of twenty years, the number of engineering degrees awarded to women rose to 23%. Every single year, this percentage is climbing.

However, there are areas of the STEM universe that lack equal gender participation. Even though women are becoming more involved in technology, many remain uninterested in engaging in our school’s Robotics program.

Yet, Junior Jasmine Sinanan-Singh is an anomaly. While some girls might shy away from the concept of building miniature robots, Jasmine embraces the challenges and obstacles offered by Robotics competitions.

“ It’s a lot more serious than you’d expect, but it’s also a lot friendlier,” she said.

Recently, Sinanan-Singh was selected to be a student ambassador in the regional FIRST Robotics Competition, an immense feat.

“ There are twelve ambassadors out of the many teams in the Orlando region (over 70 teams). During the competition we give tours to the public, meet and greet CEO’s and other VIP sponsors who donate their time and money to FRC teams and also help with various administrative and leadership duties,” Sinanan-Singh said.

In college, the junior intends to study physics, computer science and math. Thus, she has structured her high school career to prepare her. Sinanan-Singh participates in programming competitions and Science Olympiad.

Over this past summer, she worked in a space company that plans to deliver a payload to a space station and place a rover on the moon in 2015. While working in this enterprise, she participated in electrical engineering and programming for prototypes.

However, Jasmine is not the only girl who is dominating in mathematics and the sciences. All across the board, women are taking over positions that were for a long time limited to men. For example, both of the chairs for the math and science departments, Debbie Costello and Paula Phillips, are women.

Yet, the most dramatic sign of the advancement of women in these subjects is the incredible gender distribu0tion in classes.

“ Advancement Placement Biology has 19 males and 32 females. Advanced Placement Chemistry has 23 males and 20 females,” Phillips said.

Recently, the surge of women involvement in the sciences and mathematics can be accredited to the wider availability of employment for people who major in these field.  Without a doubt, the pressure to acquire a comfortable lifestyle has caused many women to pursue the STEM fields in the next level.

“ Every single year, we are seeing more girls intending to major in the sciences and mathematics,” College Counselor Mary Donoghue said.

Ultimately, Jasmine Sinanan-Singh’s passion for robotics captures a perfect image of a new movement. All over the world, women are dominating the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. When it comes down to this global phenomenon, our school is no exception.