There’s a new Swedish fish in the sea

Growing up in Stockholm, the populous capital city of Sweden, junior Theodor Lav has completed 11 years of school at Kungsholmens Gymnasium, or Kungsholmen Upper Secondary School. Through a student exchange program, he was recently given the opportunity to attend Trinity Prep for a year.

“My dad went to high school in the U.S. as a child, so I have always been thinking about coming [here],” Lav said. “But last year, I found an organization called ASSIST. I got accepted, and now I’m here.”

ASSIST, American Secondary Schools for International Students and Teachers, is a nonprofit, international organization based in the United States that is active in more than 20 countries around the globe. Its aim is to place and support outstanding international students on scholarships at leading American independent secondary schools.

In order to participate in the ASSIST program, Lav had to undergo an extensive application process.

“I had to get four recommendations, do an interview, [submit] one personal statement, complete an essay, [take] an English test, and [present] my grades,” Lav said. “It was a mini college application process.”

After being accepted to this prestigious program, Lav has had the opportunity to encounter differences in an American lifestyle.

Aside from the heat, Lav has intently noted the various differences in his time here.

“[Orlando] is also more spread out than Sweden. Sweden is a western country so it’s quite similar, however the school system is different – in Sweden, we don’t have clubs, and stuff like that normally,” Lav said. “Here it is more liberal; Sweden is a socialist country. I’m not socialist, but there are a lot of people in Sweden who are.”

In spite of the adjustment to American culture, Lav remains enthusiastic to adapt to the American lifestyle.

“It’s quite fun,” Lav said. “Everyday is a new experience. It’s a different life, and I am enjoying it.”

Alongside the cultural differences, Lav has also been able to experience a change in his typical family structure while he lives with the McGarey family during his time here.

“Having [Theodor] is kind of like having that brother that I never had as a child,” junior Jake McGarey said. “He is honestly one of the nicest people I have ever met. His personality radiates through everything, and I’m so lucky to get to live with him.”

Furthermore, Lav has also become an integral part of the Trinity family during his last two months on campus.

“Theodor is an awesome person who has really opened my eyes to different cultures and ways of life around the world,” junior Caroline White said. “He is extremely kind and friendly, and always has a positive attitude on his experiences. I am so glad to have him as one of my friends.”

Theodor has made a positive impression not only on his peers, but also on his teachers.

“[Theodor] is a great addition to our diverse, funny and friendly bunch,” said Spanish teacher Amyrillis Heard, Lav’s adviser. “He is extremely polite, humble and friendly and has blended well with the students.”

In addition to blending well with the other students, Theodor has also dedicated a lot of time to his classwork.

“His Spanish ability is also excellent,” Heard said. “I am confident he will have an excellent year with us.”

In his hopes to continue pursuing his passions, Lav has immersed himself in the various activities offered here on campus outside of the classroom.

Lav recently auditioned for the school’s fall musical, Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat, and he scored a role playing Issachar, one of Joseph’s brothers. He’s looking forward to playing a different role than he is used to back in Sweden.

“I hate romance [plays],”he said. “But I always have those type of roles because I am the only guy in [my school’s theatre department].”

Besides acting on stage, Lav is also a member of the cross country team this year.

“He’s a very hard worker,” Chaplain Ken Vinal said. “It’s a challenge to keep up with the varsity, but he’s making ground.”

Although he’s visited the U.S. four times before, Lav had never been to Florida, so he is forming a bucket list to make sure he hits all the high points of the state.

“[I’d like to go to] Universal, Disney World, [and] all that. I also think it would be cool to see a manatee…or an alligator, maybe a rocket launching,” he said. “Get new friends, enjoy life. Develop as a person, of course, – [but] that’s so boring.”

As Lav looks to the future, he hopes to spend more time in the U.S. and possibly attend college here.

But for now, Lav is content with exploring the dynamics of an American lifestyle.