Lu and Shusterman are unwinding legends

Marie+Lu+strikes+up+a+friendly+conversation+with+an+enthusiastic+reader.+
Amy Sukserm
Marie Lu strikes up a friendly conversation with an enthusiastic reader.

The Legend

Enthusiastic readers of all ages lined up outside B & L Books after school on Friday, October 10 to get autographs and exchange a few “hellos” with young adult writer Marie Lu. Despite the chain of people stretching all the way down the plaza, spirits still remained high. The atmosphere was filled with excited chatter about favorite characters and opinions on various works of literature. Lu greeted fans with a bright smile and gratitude for the praise she received for her books.

Trinity Prep 8th graders Trent Bangle and seven other students, along with Mrs. Parker and Mrs. Ela were elated to have been given the opportunity to meet one of their favorite authors.

“The books are really engaging. You can connect with the characters,” Bangle said. “You can’t put it down; you have to know what happens next. She writes in a way that every time you read it, the words come off the page. It’s like a pop-up book.”

Lu began her journey as a writer when she started her first novel at 13. She traces her inspiration back to Brian Jacques’s Mattimeo, the first fantasy novel she ever read.

Now, she embarks on a new project, releasing the first book of her latest series, The Young Elites. The book kept Lu occupied for a year and a half, as she devoted all her time to creating something she was proud of and wanted her readers to enjoy. She is currently on tour, visiting various bookshops around the country signing copies of her books and meeting her readers in person. Lu admits that The Young Elites is her favorite book she has written so far, since it’s her most recent.

The inspiration for the protagonist’s personality comes from Darth Vader, and the world it’s set in is influenced by Assassin’s Creed.

“Readers can expect a story about a girl who falls to the dark side. I hope it’s fun to read about!” Lu said.

Lu wanted to diverge from the common path of telling a story with a hero as the protagonist and tell a story centered around a villain. Despite the Darth Vader resemblance, Lu mainly draws character traits from bits and pieces of personalities she’s met throughout her life.

Even though she has received an immense amount of success for the Legend trilogy, she has not let the fame get to her head.

“It’s incredibly humbling! I’m so thrilled and grateful that readers have enjoyed the series,” Lu said. “I didn’t even think Legend would be accepted by a publisher.”

To keep readers involved in her life, Lu regularly blogs on Tumblr. She posts just about anything and everything. From sketches drawn while waiting for a flight to recorded interviews, fans can walk with Lu on her literary journey every step of the way.

“I started blogging a couple of years ago, although I’m pretty sporadic,” Lu said. “It’s a fun way of keeping in touch with readers.”

Through her tremendous effort and commitment to her audience, Lu makes it evident how much love and appreciation she has for her fans. To aspiring writers, she offers her words of wisdom,

“Don’t be afraid to write something bad! Only when you get all the ‘bad’ words out of your system can you write something good,” Lu said.

The first book in The Young Elites series has just been released, and readers can expect the sequel to be hitting bookstores fall 2015.

The Jack-of-All-Trades

On Monday, Oct. 27, Trinity Prep high schoolers, as well as a couple of faculty members, gathered in the library for lunch and a casual Q&A with visiting author, Neal Shusterman. Shusterman recently released the fourth book of his series, Unwind.

The first book in the series received many awards including the American Library Association Best Book for Young Adults award, New York Public Library Book for the Teen Age, and Bank Street Best Book of the Year.

As a child, Shusterman had many career aspirations including a writer, actor, doctor, rock star, and architect.

However, his passion for writing really began to emerge when his ninth grade English teacher challenged him to write one story every month for extra credit. In desperate need of a grade boost, he took up the challenge, and soon, all his other career paths fizzled out.

He channeled all of his emotions into his stories which soon, led to something bigger than just a high school extra credit opportunity.

In his college years, he worked as a camp counselor and would tell stories to a group of teenagers each night. His campfire tales is what fueled his decision to write for young adults. Shusterman’s first novels, The Shadow Club and The Eyes of Kid Midas, began as stories he told to his campers.

“I consider myself very lucky to have a career doing what I love,” Shusterman said.

Before the reward that comes along with the finished product, he admits that coming up with original and meaningful stories that people will like poses as a challenge. He puts a great amount of effort and emotion into his stories.

“I want the readers not just to read the words, but to feel the ideas and questions,” Shusterman said. “I prefer to ask questions that will challenge you to think, and see the world in fresh ways. The way I see it, a book should be a powerful experience.”