A (Whit)ty Job

On Nov. 19, alum Whit Watson returned to speak at the annual leadership assembly. After graduating from Trinity, Watson became a sportscaster. However, his first job as a speaker was the host for In My Own Words, an Orlando based show. His later jobs as a speaker includes Sun Sports, Fox Sports Florida, and Orlando Magic. These jobs helped him  become a sportscaster at The Golf Channel, his current job. He addressed the Class of 2003 at their Commencement and spoke at an all-school assembly in 2007. At the leadership assembly, he spoke about the role of leadership in his job. He talked about his love interest: golf.

Before playing golf, Watson was a four-year starter on the Trinity baseball team. However, only after graduating Trinity did Watson become actively involved in golf. Watson said he started to play because of his father’s love for the sport. However, Watson eventually fell in love with the game himself. He continues to play with his father and his son Zach Watson, a student at Trinity.

“Golf is a game you can play forever, and it’s extremely challenging on the mental side,” Watson said.

Over time, Watson has come to appreciate the different aspects of the sport. However, the appeal of golf has changed from Watson’s adolescent years to his now mature age.

“Back then, I think I just loved having something to do with my dad,” Watson said. “I felt like our golf games were mini-vacations for both of us. As I got older and got better, I began to appreciate everything that surrounds the game of golf. Golf is a game that pits the player against himself, as opposed to against an opponent or another team.  I can think of no better game.”

As a graduate of Trinity and Cornell University, Watson has had his experiences with good leadership.

“Leadership is listening,” Watson said. “True leaders are those who recognize the needs of the group and find the most effective way to get there. Many people believe that ‘leaders’ are those with the loudest voices or the best stage presence,” Watson said, “Not true.  The opposite, in fact [is true.] Leaders listen.”

Although he is the primary announcer for The Golf Channel, Watson said this does not make him the most important member on set. Rather, it is a responsibility for him to set the tone for his fellow announcers and crew. He said that a true leader recognizes the moods of his peers and makes decisions for the greater good.

“Trinity creates future leaders in the community,” Watson said. His favorite parts of Trinity were playing golf and performing for an audience. He further acknowledged that his time at Trinity affected his leadership skills in a positive manner. He is happy that Zach ‘18 and his daughter, Ellie ‘22, have these same opportunities.

“Trinity students are given many opportunities to stand out amongst the crowd,” Watson said.

His love for golf and English led Watson to be a leader in his field. Furthermore, Watson added how he was a very good public speaker. Dean Rhoads, a Trinity Prep English teacher, encouraged his love of writing and expression. Rhoads had a positive experience with Watson as well.

“[Watson] was a student leader in a day when there were far fewer classes and workshops for training leaders. I liked and respected him immensely,” Rhoads said.

“I simply combined two passions, sports and performing, into one career,” he said.