Baselice builds bridges with Google

In her hopes to enhance students’ learning environment both inside and outside of the classroom, middle school math teacher Jennifer Baselice recently became an authorized Google Education Trainer.

The Google Education Training authorization is an official “stamp of approval” from Google, assuring that the trainer and learning materials meet high quality standards. After becoming a trainer, Baselice has had the opportunity to showcase her knowledge.

“I have been presenting a lot about how to integrate Google Apps and technology in the teaching and learning process, and I really enjoy it,” Baselice said.

Baselice’s professional learning community involves a network of teachers and leaders across the country who also have the desire to innovate their classrooms.

“The Google Education Trainer program will connect me to even more wonderful educators and trainers who will challenge me and motivate me professionally,” she said. “This, in turn, will reflect on my work as a math teacher at Trinity and as a colleague to my peers.”

To become an authorized Google Education Trainer, Baselice went through an extensive application process. Not only did she have to acquire presentation experience beforehand, but she also had to pass five tests on a variety of Google App skills. Alongside these credentials, Baselice had to submit an application and a training resume highlighting her leadership in training.

Additionally, she had to create a case study showcasing materials she used to deliver professional development workshops in the use of Google Apps in Education.

“The case study was a workshop I put together for a school in Miami,” Baselice said. “It was geared towards their Math Department, and how they can use Google Forms to continuously assess students, gather data, and reflect on that information to guide and personalize the learning experience for the students.”

Lastly, she had to make a two-minute training video regarding the use of a certain Google app tool. She admits that keeping it at two minutes was tough.

After completing this lengthy set of requirements and attaining her authorization as a Google Education Trainer, Baselice can finally exchange her acquired knowledge.

“My responsibilities are to share the knowledge,” Baselice said. “I have to present or lead workshops that highlight ways to integrate Google Apps in the classroom.”

Baselice must facilitate these workshops at least three times each quarter. Her credential is valid for a year. In order to renew her license, Baselice must engage in the continuous training process and connect with educators, as well as annually pass the five exams that she initially took.

In spite of the added workload, Baselice remains passionate about enhancing the learning atmosphere in her classroom through the incorporation of these tools. Invited as a keynote speaker, Baselice voiced this idea for the Archdiocese of Miami on Friday, January 16.

“These tools will extend and enhance their learning in ways we can’t even begin to imagine because we weren’t taught with them!” Baselice said. “I want to make sure [that children are learning] the power of these tools on my watch and I’m doing my best to prepare my students for success in their digital world.”

Baselice’s admirable feat is recognized by many in the Trinity family.

“We are excited and pleased that Mrs. Baselice has become an authorized Google Education Trainer,” Headmaster Craig Maughan said. “This achievement represents a commitment on her part to advance her technical skills, which in turn, will benefit our students.”

Alongside Maughan, Academic Integrationist Rita Kienle is also proud of Baselice for her efforts to enhance the overall learning environment.

“We are lucky to have teachers that are willing to grow professionally and share their knowledge with their colleagues and students; Mrs. Baselice is one of those teachers,” Kienle said.  “She has been willing to support and work with our teachers on the many different Google applications and tools to help with productivity and organization.”

Throughout the entire process, Baselice expresses how her passion to progress has stemmed from her time at Trinity.

“My work [here] is what paved the way for me to feel confident and comfortable enough to share my knowledge with others, both at other schools and national conferences,” Baselice said. “I will continue to always grow professionally and share and collaborate with other educators in order to provide my students with the best learning experience possible.”

Furthermore, we look forward to seeing the positive impact of Baselice’s remarkable achievement.