Bake-Off and College Fair

A velvet cake that won the grand prize last year.
Courtesy of Susan Lilley

Bake off

On March 18th, brownies, scones, banana bread, and other delicacies from culinary chefs of different backgrounds will be judged on our campus. The Trinity Literary Society (TLS) is hosting its annual Iron Chef Bake-off to raise money for club activities, such as the visiting author workshops.

TLS Presidents and seniors Mackenzie Bland and Alexis Hamner are ecstatic to host this year’s bake-off. They expect another year of decorative entries and intense competition.

“The bake-off is a chance for people to show off their superior skills, and also helps to raise money to keep the visiting writers series up and running,” Bland said.

Every year, the event allows entries from all types of desserts and baked goods. Also, there is no limit to how many people can enter. Their lax rules allow for a wide variety of treats. As a previous helper, Bland has seen judges taste the dozens of samples, some not so tasty.

“I passed out samples last year, so I got to see every entry and the judges’ reactions,” Bland said. “There was a certain entry, an eggless pie I think, that made the entire team of judges gag.”

Due to popular demand, faculty and staff judges are chosen by raffle. In addition to these adult judges, one lucky student will also have the opportunity to be a judge.

To enter, students will sign up in Ms. Lilley’s room. The morning of the competition, they will bring their prebaked goods to Mrs. Lilley’s room. The panel of judges will taste small portions of each good and rate them during lunch.

“The entire competition is very casual, so I’d highly recommend just going for it,” Hamner said. “Even if you don’t win, your entry will still get sold at the bake sale.”

Last year's consortium was packed with a crowd of attendees.
Last year’s consortium was packed with a crowd of attendees.

College Consortium

The clamor of the Pegasus Ballroom at the University of Central Florida (UCF) … and embrace the nervous sweat of hundreds of college-bound students jostling to get the inside scoop on their favorite colleges.

On February 27, 2016, Trinity Prep will once again co-host the annual college consortium at UCF. The majority of Trinity Prep’s upper school has attended the event, but will still return to the college fair. After all, who wouldn’t? It offers the perfect chance for students to explore different colleges and meet with college representatives.

The consortium began as a discussion between local educators Alex Segura and Bob Burris about the benefits of starting an organization to address issues pertinent to school counselors and students. The idea was developed into the Central Florida Consortium of Private School Counselors (CFCPSC). Along with the UCF college fair, the group hosts several other consortium meetings during the year. Their first meeting was at Lake Highland Prep on January 16, 2013. That same year they planned and executed the idea of the first Central Florida College Fair. This year more than 14 private schools and 25 college counselors will partake in the event.

These institutions must be invited, and the attendees are only from the member schools in the CFCPSC. The group of schools includes the very best of private education in Florida, such as Lake Highland and The First Academy.

“The consortium is what we are – a collaborative body of private school college/guidance counselors,” college-counselor Lester Johnson said.

As one of the major events the counselors host as a group, the consortium serves as essential college preparation for students in Trinity’s upper school.