Prepare for progress in pep rallies

Kendra Eichelberger
The cheerleaders’ routines break the crowd into a wild frenzy.

Smattering of decorations-blue balloons and gold ribbons-and our school colors adorned the walls. Ear-shattering sounds come from the sections of students. Cheerleaders perform their routines. Trinity Prep pep rallies function as an integral part of our year; they provide as fodder to get passions lit on fire. Even though a small minority of students and faculty bemoan the event, the majority enjoy dancing “the Gigolo” and cheering on their classmates in the spirit contest.  

“It’s one of my favorite times of the year. I enjoy getting rowdy and showing off my school’s spirit,” seventh grader Maneesh Rajulapati said.

Trinity pep rallies have been a part of the school since its founding. However, less commonly known is how much Trinity’s pep rally has evolved to become the modern form it is today.

As a former co-cheerleading coach, cheerleader at Trinity, and active participant in other school activities, math teacher Lynn Wilbur embodies school spirit.

“I absolutely love that we sing the Alma Mater – that was not done at first and when we tried to sing it most of the students did not know the words,” Wilbur said.

In 1999, before there was any lyrics to the alma mater, Wilbur’s cheerleaders made a fight song. However, the fight song failed to catch on. To replace the fight song, the alma mater was created and has ever since been a part of Trinity culture. Trying to stop the changes to the pep rally, previous athletic directors tried to prevent the DAC’s walls being lined with decorations, but cheerleaders were still able to hang football players’ posters on the walls. Traditions at Trinity seemed to be starting overnight. A Trinity Prep veteran, debate coach Dean Rhoads has seen the trend.

“All of a sudden, we did things we hadn’t done before… I can say that [the pep rallies] are far more popular and engaging than they used to be in the first years of our existence,” Rhoads said.