Second chapter opens for Author Fest

Deniz Boloni-Turgut
Author Christina Farley signs her book “Gilded” at the school’s second annual Author Fest.

Authors are often unknown faces hidden behind the covers of books, but on Friday, April 7, Author Fest provided the community a unique opportunity to meet the person behind the magic.

Nineteen authors attended the event in the school library, so there were many new books and series to choose from. Because it is only the second year of Author Fest, the school is still focusing on Florida writers and is hoping to expand in the future, according to Librarian Reba Gordon.

“We are hoping to expand our focus into a submission-type process in the future, where it could be up to the students who could suggest authors they’d like to see,” Gordon said.

The authors who were present were clearly enthusiastic about inspiring students.

“I love books, and I love having a chance to meet and talk to students about reading and inspiring them to both be readers and writers,” author Lynne Matson said.  “It’s a gift to me just as much as it is for the kids.”

The authors were on call and ready to answer questions and sign books for the more than 200 students who attended. They even took turns reading their favorite passages from their books.

“First and foremost, you get to meet someone whose real job it is to write,” Gordon said. “And you can ask them questions, from where they get their inspiration…to explaining the publication process.”

Gordon added that her and English teacher Georgia Parker’s goal in holding Author Fest was to give students an understanding of another career choice and to motivate aspiring authors to give writing a try. The attending authors also had a lot of valuable advice to offer. 

“Don’t worry about getting published,” author Adrian Fogelin said. “Do a lot of writing [and] get good at it, before you think, ‘Oh I’m gonna put it out in the world.’ Your first writing, even though you think it’s really good, usually isn’t. But it gets better; you just  have to keep working on it.”

7th grader Avery Birle attended Author Fest both years and plans to  come again because she enjoys it.

“I went last year and…[got] to see the authors in person, and have them explain their books first hand,” Birle said. “[Also], I got an opportunity to find the best books that are newly coming out.” 

Alongside the piles of books, there were several tables where the Friends of the Library committee was selling various sweets, from cupcakes to chocolate covered pretzels. Jeremiah’s Italian Ice was also served.

However, the most important things  at Author Fest were the books and the wisdom the authors offered.

“Writing gives your life a second layer,” Fogelin said. “It leaves behind a trail of ideas and words and stories. Whereas if you don’t write, you live right in that minute and it disappears. Writing makes your life much fuller.”