Lilley writes herself into poetry history

English Teacher Named Orlando’s First Poet Laureate
AP+English+Literature+and+Creative+Writing+teacher+Susan+Lilley+was+recently+named+Orlandos+first+poet+laureate.+
Kenny Hill
AP English Literature and Creative Writing teacher Susan Lilley was recently named Orlando’s first poet laureate.

To most at Trinity, Susan Lilley is an English literature teacher who passionately teaches Shakespeare and creative writing to her students. However, to the greater Orlando area, she is even more than that.

Lilley was recently named Orlando’s first ever Poet Laureate, a distinction that is given at the local, state and national levels to distinguished poets. After going through a series of interviews, she was picked by a select committee out of a group of many other accomplished writers.

This honor bestowed upon Lilley is not only ceremonial but also comes with great responsibilities, which Lilley said excites her.

“I am the ambassador for creative writing in the greater Orlando area,” Lilley said.

As the Poet Laureate, Lilley is in charge of writing poems for big city functions such as holidays and public events.

“The hardest part is I will have to write some poems specifically for big events in Orlando,” Lilley said. “This scares me because I don’t usually write poems on demand.”

However, she looks forward to going out of her comfort zone. Her first such poem is about the Fourth of July.

Many students in the city do not have access to resources to learn about creative writing or do any sort of writing themselves. Lilley will educate underprivileged students about creative writing. She will visit the schools, speak to students and teach them writing techniques.

“The best part for me will be working with kids who don’t get a chance to write,” Lilley said. “I will be able to teach them and maybe even help them start creative writing clubs.”

Even after receiving this award, the English teacher still considers herself a late blooming poet. She began writing poetry when she was in graduate school studying English Literature. Even though she studied poetry extensively, she didn’t find herself writing a lot until her after college.

“I studied poetry for many many years,” Lilley said. “I thought there were so many good poets in the world why did I need to write any. Finally somewhere around my late 20s I cracked.”

Once Lilley began writing, she found inspiration from everything around her. Whether it be friends, work, nature, politics, happiness or sadness, she was inspired to write and perfect her craft.

Like most Trinity students, Lilley vividly remembers reading John Keats’s Ode to a Nightingale in high school.

“I remember reading it and thinking that it is the most beautiful thing I have ever read,” Lilley said.

She traces her love for poetry back to this poem, and it remains one of her all-time favorites.

Although she loves teaching at Trinity, her schedule does not provide her much time to write.

“As much as I love my job [at Trinity],” Lilley said. “I am sorry to say that it has probably slowed down my writing.”

Each summer she vacations with a few friends to write. They write all day and enjoy each other’s company at night. These writing retreats provide inspiration and an ideal setting for her writing.

Over the years, Lilley has had her poems published in many different literary magazines and publications. Some of these include The American Poetry Review, The Southern Review, and Poet Lore.

She has written numerous poems over the years, but her favorite is “Fall”, although she does often find herself loving her most recent poems as she continues to improve and impress herself. “Fall” describes the make shift change of seasons in Florida. Lilley artfully depicts how the scent of pumpkin spice and the end of constant talk of hurricanes signals the beginning of fall. The poem perfectly encapsulates what it means to live in Florida.

Lilley’s love for poetry and teaching will now not be limited to Trinity’s campus. Taking the new role of Orlando’s Poet Laureate, Lilley will continue to teach poetry all over the city for years to come.