Hubert heads out after a year teaching English

English teacher Sarah Hubert would regularly check for Trinity teaching openings “just to see what was going on,” as she put it. Once she found out about an opening for middle school English, she pounced on the opportunity to join the school.
“When I interviewed, I asked, ‘The brochure looks great, but what’s it really like?’” Hubert said. “The campus is just as gorgeous as the photographs are; I’ve been very impressed by the students and their willingness to work. I think the quality of what we do is, on the whole, academic, rigorous and challenging. It is what it says it is.”
Coming from a public school elementary job, Hubert was excited for the changes and independence she’d get from teaching older students in a secondary school.
“I have a lot more freedom here than I’ve had in another school,” Hubert said. “When we read “Fahrenheit 451,” students got to do a creative project where they made a sculpture, wrote a play, or did something totally creative that doesn’t meet any state-mandated five-paragraph forms.”
On top of her role as English teacher, Hubert was an assistant coach for the middle school track team. She noted that she was impressed by the ability of students to balance academics and athletics and how each student independently stood out.
“I have some students that are quiet in the classroom and then totally are leaders on the athletic field,” Hubert said. “It’s neat to know them as a whole person…I’m also impressed with how much the students do: kids will be in the play and on a sports team and do things outside of school, and they’re still functioning and doing all of that at once.”
Outside of the classroom and the athletic field, Hubert stated that she loved going to see plays and musicals, as she often participated in theater as a student.
“As an English teacher I’m biased towards theater; it’s my turf,” Hubert said. “I teach plays [and] I was a theater kid myself growing up, so I love to watch productions.”
Hubert also said that she’s enjoyed learning about our school’s traditions and that she’s excited to take part in events she’s yet to experience, like Lunch on the Lawn and Headmaster’s Day.
When asked if she had a favorite class during her year at Trinity, Hubert said, “Each class is different and had their own distinct personality for sure, and I tailor things because I know what my morning group needs is different from what my afternoon group needs. I’ll say this: I have one, but I will not tell you what it is.”