Chapel to be continued remotely

Accompanying the shift to remote learning procedures, Head of School Byron Lawson, together with the Technology Department and Chaplain Richard Towers, have been considering feasible ways to continue weekly chapel as well.

Chapel will continue taking place on Thursdays in one of two forms: asynchronous and livestreamed. Asynchronous chapels, such as this week’s, will be pre-recorded by Towers and will include a PDF service leaflet so students and faculty can follow along. Towers said asynchronous chapels are likely to be around 10 minutes or less.

“Because of its passive nature of just watching the content in a prerecorded situation, [I’m] trying not to make it too long or labored,” Towers said.

For other weeks, including next week on Maundy Thursday, Towers hopes to hold a longer, real-time chapel service due to the content and seriousness of Holy Week’s passion narratives. The two methods currently being discussed for the service are using Google Meet and livestreaming through Trinity’s Facebook page.

Towers said that through chapel, he hopes to communicate that Trinity is still a community that gathers for reflection and contemplation, even through hardships. He believes continuing chapel services adheres to the school’s mission of developing leaders and spiritual individuals by addressing that we are still spiritual people, even while self-distancing.

“I think that a lot of the most serious issues beyond the general anxiety that we’re facing is how this really has affected people’s livelihoods, … most especially those who have succumbed to this disease,” Towers said. “My hope is that we can gather people’s concerns, show support for each other, and be reminded of God’s love and consolation during this difficult time.”

Towers said the school has also been making arrangements with Vocal Society, orchestra, band and the chapel accompanist Kathy Slage to record student performances for chapel. He will soon be meeting with the Administration and Technology Departments to discuss more details regarding attendance requirements and livestreaming as well as to find the best way to provide chapel services to students and faculty.

“One of the challenges of working from home like this is that it’s hard to stay focused,” Towers said. “The structure of gathering for worship can have a good effect on the way we handle our week and work, but deeper than that, I hope that people find some comfort and solace in returning to the message of God’s love and our community that prays together and shares.”