Trinity Welcomes New College Counselors

New+college+counselors%2C+Russell+Althouse+and+Christine+Grover%2C+pose+by+their+college+pennant+wall+in+their+office.+
New college counselors, Russell Althouse and Christine Grover, pose by their college pennant wall in their office.

For most people, their involvement in the college admissions process stops at acceptance. But for new college counselor Russell Althouse, that was only the beginning. Althouse has worked over 15 years in the admissions process, starting from when he was an undergraduate, to eventually becoming a counselor himself, and is now bringing his experience to Trinity. 

“After 11 years in college [admissions], I wanted to know the process from the other side,” Althouse said. “I switched over to be able to see how they get from ninth grade to submitting their applications to college.”

He’s not the only new college counselor this year though. Christine Grover is also joining the college counselor team, with extensive experience in education. Since 2002, Grover has worked as a teacher, special education trainer and principal. Now, having worked as a college counselor for almost a decade, she’s moving to Florida to be with her family after living in Panama for the past 12 years. She said that she wants to make sure that students have not only a suite of opportunities and choices, but the chance to find their best fit as well.

“I’d love for them to know we have an amazing college counseling team, we’re here to support them, and we want to make the process as painless as possible and maybe even fun,” Grover said. 

Both counselors also emphasized that their doors are open to all students, not just juniors and seniors. 

“We want the community to know who we are, and we want the community to know we’re here to support them, regardless of what grade they’re in,” Althouse said. 

More and more students may be looking for that kind of support, as the coronavirus continues to have a pronounced effect on the college admissions process.

“It’s definitely impacted the admissions process, more than anything that I’ve ever seen since I’ve been in the industry,” Grover said.

Grover explained that because many standardized tests have been canceled, colleges are looking at students more holistically, making college essays, letters of recommendation and the activities students participate in much more important.

“It will be a very interesting application season, Grover said. “We’ll see what happens.”

However, both counselors said that the most important thing that students need to do is to be prepared for changes.

“There are some things in the admissions process we can control, and there are some things we can’t control,” Althouse said. “It is going to be constantly evolving, and they need to not stress over that. They need to focus on the things that they can control, and listen to what we’re putting out to them as to what colleges are doing,”

Outside of school, both said that they’re excited for Florida’s more tropical opportunities.

“I don’t think college counselors get free time,” Grover said. “If I do get free time, I love the beaches.” Coming from New Jersey, Althouse also said that he loves to travel, and was excited to see what cruises Florida has to offer.

The two counselors emphasized that they’re excited to be working with Trinity students and are looking forward to the possibilities of the new school year.

“We’re here any time, for any student,” Althouse said.