A Virtual Appreciation

This is a screenshot of the website that was released on April 1 for Grandparents’ Day. The website will be up for the month of April.

In the past, students and their grandparents would walk through the Quad together, go to classes, talk with the teachers and enjoy breakfast. However, due to the ongoing coronavirus, Grandparents Day this year was online instead of in-person, so the school had to shift gears.

This year, grandparents accessed a web page on April 1 that contained recordings of students for their grandparents to watch. In each advisory, students left messages such as, “I love you, and I hope to see you soon.”

Normally during Grandparents Day, students and their grandparents attend an assembly showcasing students’ talents. Instead of this, the website featured a video message from Head of School Byron Lawson and the Director of Alumni Relations Elizabeth McIntosh. Other videos included a message from Student Council President and senior Thomas Lightsey, various art performances and recordings of each advisory. The website is available for the month of April.  

Outside of the virtual activities, students in their advisories wrote out a card for their grandparent(s) that the school will send to them, along with other goodies like their grandchilds’  yearbook photo, a magnet and a note from the office. Francesca Asher, Nancy Vosburgh and Kelly Ressler, who are a part of the TPO Grandparents Day Co-Chairs committee, also made buttons of students’ yearbook photos to be sent to their respective grandparent(s).     

McIntosh said she couldn’t imagine a year without Grandparents Day, as the tradition has been going on since the ‘90s.

“We can’t imagine not having one [Grandparents Day],” McIntosh said.  

Grandparents Day was going to be virtual from the start and was originally supposed to be held on March 5, but it was delayed because of planning issues, such as the creation of the website. This year, the committee was trying to get more grandparents to participate because the event was online. There were also complications with grades being quarantined, which is where the idea of writing postcards came from.

McIntosh said that if this year’s online event works out, in the future, grandparents might have the option to visit (when it is safe again) in person or visit virtually, so that the grandparents who cannot come physically can hopefully still attend. 

Usually when grandparents visit in person, the school asks them if they would like to donate. This year, at the very top of the website there is a section with 11 different links that provides different ways that the grandparents can donate to the school.  

McIntosh said that Grandparents Day is celebrated here at Trinity because it is a great opportunity for the students to spend time with their grandparents. 

“That’s their only job, is to just love you,” McIntosh said.