Exploring Physics, Exploring the World

Photo provided by Michelle Chicas
Chicas’s time in Cape Town

A major in molecular microbiology and the goal to become a dentist, Michelle Chicas did not plan to pursue physics, let alone become a physics teacher. However, it was until she ended up studying the field for the first time at the University of Central Florida that she found an immense passion for it, amplified when she first began teaching the material to students.

Originally from Ohio, Chicas moved to a small town in rural Southwest Florida called Lehigh Acres in seventh grade. From there, she went to Lehigh Senior High School where she actually never took physics, due to there not being enough students to fill the class. Thus, it was not until her freshman year of college at UCF, that she was introduced to the field for the first time. It was there she realized how much loved its incorporation of math.

“I liked math a lot,” Chicas said. “And it was the first place where it felt like it made math meaningful for me. That’s when I wanted to pursue physics. And then teaching physics obviously was just that progression.”

That progression started when Chicas became a part of Junior Achievement, a leadership program that required her to volunteer in nearby schools. She was required to go once a week for an entire semester to teach middle schoolers.

“While I was doing that, I realized that was the thing that I was looking forward to almost every week,” Chicas said.

Since then, she changed her major to science education in physics and was previously teaching in the Orange County Public School District. During her seven years at Southwest Middle School, she served as the science department chair, an AVID site team member, and the Agriculture Club advisor. Now, she finds herself a part of the Trinity Prep Science Department, pursuing her passions through teaching Honors Physics.

“I’ve enjoyed it so far,” Chicas said. “It’s been a great experience. The students are very attentive and eager to learn.”

When Chicas is away from the classroom, she enjoys planning trips and visiting different destinations. Though she has traveled to many rousing and exciting places, she believes the most picturesque destination she has been in is Cape Town.

“I used to live in Malawi, I was an education consultant for a nonprofit exam, a nonprofit organization,” Chicas said. “So I would go on vacation to Cape Town when I was there.”

Her time at Children of the Nations allowed her to teach secondary school-level physics at the International Christian Academy. She was also able to mentor and assist Malawian teachers at five different local schools. Successfully expanding her passion for physics education to an entirely new continent.

One day, she plans to revisit South Africa with her husband and daughter who have never been. From there, she hopes to take them to Cape Town, Malawi, and many more exciting places.