• September 18September 22nd- First B Club Meetings

Lazaraton Makes Waves

New Aquatics Director Steve Lazaraton dives into a new season
Lazaraton+coaching+at+a+swim+meet+held+at+Trinity+on+August+24th.+
Photo provided by Steve Lazaraton
Lazaraton coaching at a swim meet held at Trinity on August 24th.

Steve Lazaraton’s lifelong devotion to aquatics has taken him from the depths of the pool to the heights of coaching excellence.

The new Aquatics Director and Head Varsity Swimming and Diving Coach grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio, and swam for his local club team. After advancing to the collegiate level as an All-American swimmer for Allegheny College in Pennsylvania, in ‘92, Lazaraton transferred to the University of Florida. While competing on its club swimming team, Lazaraton completed his undergraduate degree in geology, also earning a Master in Science Education.

Soon after graduating, Lazaraton translated his success as a collegiate swimmer into a coaching career, working as the senior assistant coach for The Bolles School in Jacksonville for 16 seasons. After producing three Olympics swimmers under his tutelage at Bolles, Lazaraton moved to California, where he served as the first-ever Swimming and Diving Coach at Simpson University and the head coach of the Shasta YMCA Sharks.

Lazaraton has guided swimmers to four high school team national championships, six national high school individual event records, and 32 state high school team titles. As he embarks on his 27th year of coaching, Lazaraton aspires to bring this level of success to Trinity’s aquatics program.

“What made my choice to move back to Florida was the opportunity to be part of Trinity Prep,” Lazaraton said. “It’s a good program. It’s a good school. It’s got a great level of support and has the opportunity to improve each year.”

Lazaraton believes that coaching transcends all ages and skill levels, and he finds no distinction in his transition from coaching at the collegiate level and beyond to that of high school.

“From the journey from high school to college, [it’s important] knowing what college coaches are looking for and knowing the steps necessary for a high school swimmer to be part of a college program,” Lazaraton said.

Lazaraton’s dedication to coaching provides his swimmers with the necessary expertise to succeed at the next level. Beyond skill development, Lazaraton actively cultivates a positive environment where his swimmers can thrive.

“When people come back on the pool deck and they’re excited to see you, that’s the culture I love being a part of,” Lazaraton said. “That’s the culture I love creating.”