Out of the Comfort Zone

Senior Morgan Delerme joins the varsity football team

Most athletes have a reason for playing their respective sports. Some were inspired by their parents or an older sibling. Others idolize a pro-athlete or devoutly follow a professional team. For senior football player Morgan Delerme, her inspiration came from last year’s Powderpuff game.

“Last year’s Powderpuff game made me realize that I wanted to play the sport for real,” Delerme said. “I wanted to do something that stood out during my senior year and left a mark on Trinity.”

Delerme decided to go out for the team over the summer and has been playing ever since. Despite being the only girl on the team, Delerme took everything head-on, not letting her nerves get in the way.

“I was never really that nervous, but then it all hit me on the way to our first game,” Delerme said. “It was super nerve-wracking at first, but I stayed confident and got through it.”

Delerme now plays the right offensive guard, defensive line and kick return for the varsity team. She said she enjoys every second of it.

“It’s beyond fun,” Delerme says. “The team has all been super nice and has made me feel like one of the boys.”

The boys have enjoyed having her on the team as well.

“Morgan’s participation shows that anybody can work hard and play, even when they’re doing something out of their comfort zone,” senior football player Liam Swanson said.

With the new Citrus League this year, the Saints only play six regular season games, playing two teams twice. This has presented an interesting challenge for the team, as they usually only play each team once.

“We’ve been training since June to be ready for anything,” Delerme said. “It’s been a long and difficult season, but it’s amazing to see all the progress we’ve made.”

Unfortunately for Delerme, a COVID-19 case at school forced her to quarantine and miss the past three games. 

“It’s been sad not being able to play,” Delerme said. “But, I’ve still managed to watch the games from home, so I’m glad that I can still support the team in some way.”

Even though she’s only been able to play in two games so far, her story has already begun inspiring other girls. In fact, Delerme has already had girls tell her they also want to play football. 

“It really makes me happy to hear that other girls want to play too,” Delerme said. “It’s things like that which make me so glad I decided to play this year.”

With only one game left to play, the regular season is coming to a close. Set to play Cornerstone Charter Academy in the regional tournament, Delerme and the team look to pick up a big postseason win.

“I think we definitely can win,” Delerme said. “We have a great team, and a coaching staff we all trust will lead us to success.”

No matter what happens, Delerme can confidently leave this season knowing she gave it her all.

“Football is by far the hardest sport I’ve ever played,” Delerme said. “I’ve poured countless hours a week practicing, watching film and playing games, and I’m genuinely proud of my team.”