Fashion Busts: Fashion fads are considered to be more like fashion busts

Throughout the course of history there have been many fashion fads, which for some reason I don’t understand. Lately people try to be unique with their fashion choices, but some of these fads are too strange. It seems to me that most of these so called “fads” are more like extreme fashion busts.

There has been one popular style that caught on quite fast and it is a very controversial one. This style which sprung up so fast is chubbies. The slogan on the Chubbies website is “Radical shorts for men.” This is completely ironic because Chubbies are nothing if not radical.

Chubbies are the men’s shorts which are several inches shorter than the average length for shorts worn by men. These shorts come in many different bright colors and patterns. Chubbies are either loved or hated, and certain people have strong opinions on this popular style.

“I feel that there is absolutely no reason to wear shorts that short,” said sophomore Jack Dwyer, “especially when most people don’t have the legs to fill them out.” However, others have less firm opinions on this recent fad. “I definitely don’t find [Chubbies] attractive, but if that’s what a guy wants to wear, then go for it,” said freshman Ailsa Mungall.

Uggs are the very popular winter shoes which are filled with fur in order to keep your feet warm while looking stylish. Uggs have become extremely controversial in the past couple of years, but not only because they are considered ugly. The organization, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, has released that the Ugg company has mistreated animals in the process of making their boots. The sheep that provide the fur in order to keep your feet toasty warm during those cold winter months have sometimes been tortured to death and treated cruelly.

Many animal lovers have reacted by throwing away their Uggs and refusing to buy another pair. “If I owned a pair of Uggs, which I don’t, then I would either throw them out or donate them,” said freshman Emily Vu in an effort to project her view on animal rights. “I definitely do not want to support a company that uses animal products, even if their methods of getting the animal products are “humane”.”

The key to fashion is knowing what looks good on you. If you’re a pale blonde girl, like myself, then you shouldn’t wear colors that will just wash you out. High waisted shorts and pants have recently come into fashion, and I find these to be fairly cute. However, this specific style only looks good on people who know how to work it. You don’t have to have the body of a Victoria’s Secret model to be able to pull this off; but you just need to know what to wear with them in order to make them flattering. Rompers are one of those fashion styles that I just don’t understand. I don’t understand how someone came up with the idea of a romper; it just looks so strange to me. Rompers remind me of the onesies that babies wear which makes me wonder why they are even considered fashionable. They can definitely look good on people, but I see them as more of a bust rather than a fad.

Fashion is a more controversial topic than I would ever expect because everyone has their own opinion and style. What matters is what you want to wear. No one should let the opinions of their friends or stylists dictate what they wear. However, looking good should be a priority for everyone.