Tragedy tomorrow, comedy tonight!

It’s the end of life as we know it. Two of the most iconic shows of the past few years have ended.  With everyone lamenting the conclusion of the Breaking Bad and Dexter series, you may be wondering if there are any programs still worth watching on TV.
You’re in luck—there are plenty of jaw-dropping and seat-gripping shows for a variety of different tastes.  Ranging from comedy to drama, horror to action, the fall and winter 2013 season has it all.
If you love twisted violence and scarring terror, Emmy-winning American Horror Story might be just for you. Sophomore Amir Dayi has followed the show since season one and said, “The show is creepy and weird which makes it dramatic. [American Horror Story] leaves you in shock episode after episode.”  He said to expect an amazing performance by Jessica Lange and a lot of plot twists.
How I Met Your Mother reaches its final season but still produces the same goofy humor. Junior Charlotte Craig recommends watching the final season.  “Anything with Neil Patrick Harris is automatically amazing,” she said. “During this season, it will be entertaining to see how Barney and Robin’s relationship progresses.”
Along with How I Met Your Mother and American Horror Story, here are a few of the best fall shows on television.

How I Met Your Mother

Wrapping up with its ninth and final season, How I Met Your Mother is back with more laughs and “wait-for-it’s” than ever before. The loveable motley group of friends continues with their comical misunderstandings and adventures in Manhattan. Building up to the moment we have been anticipating for eight years, we finally will see exactly how Ted meets his future wife.  If you haven’t watched this show before, spend your weekend sitting on the couch catching up on Netflix.  Spoiler—we found out last season that Ted will meet the mother at Barney and Robin’s wedding.  With the buildup to the wedding and mishaps occurring left and right, there is no question that Ted’s first encounter with the future Mrs. Mosby will be awkward yet adorable. Apart from Ted’s love life, expect more baby antics with Marshall and Lilly, Canadian jokes targeted at Robin and crazy schemes planned by the imaginative Barney. After eight seasons of heartbreak, comedic disasters and success, the dorky and loveable Ted Mosby will finally find happiness. Catch up on How I Met Your Mother on Mondays at 8 P.M. on CBS.

Revenge

Taking place in the sophisticated and foreboding Hamptons, Revenge returns for a third season.  The story follows the devious plans of Amanda Clark, a young socialite living under the alias Emily Thorne.  She vows to get revenge on the Graysons, the family who falsely accused her father of terrorism and ruined her life. Season two closed with numerous deaths and tragedies, and with the onset of the new season, Amanda begins to question whether her motives are worth the heartbreak that affects her life. The first scene of the current season starts things off with a bang—literally.  The first 30 seconds forward to the season finale and depict Amanda on a yacht in a wedding dress. When she turns around, she is shot in the stomach and falls overboard! The writers definitely want to build up suspense for the new season.  The plot thickens as Victoria’s long-lost son arrives and Daniel Grayson plans his marriage to Amanda.  With every hour-long episode supplying numerous twists and turns in the convoluted story, Amanda Clarke keeps you on your toes. This season will have you piecing together Amanda’s master plan while trying to identify the shooter.  Watch Revenge on Sundays at 9 P.M. on ABC.

The Mindy Project

The Mindy Project follows the frenzied and fabulous life of Mindy Lahiri, a New York doctor whose dream it is to fall in love. Mindy is loud, outspoken and unafraid to speak her mind.  Constantly placed into awkward and humorous circumstances, she juggles finding a soul mate with keeping up with her quirky coworkers.  Characters such as Dr. Danny Castellano and nurse Morgan Tookers cause comical and offbeat situations.  The show promises even more hilarious mishaps, with Dr. Peter Prentiss becoming a recurring character and more guest appearances from Bill Hader of Saturday Night Live. It will be interesting to see if the tensions between Peter and Danny rise.  Morgan is one of the best characters on the show and is endearing in his efforts to help everyone.  He provides more dumb– but entertaining– scenarios that make the show worth watching. Just Morgan alone makes The Mindy Project worth watching, and the second season to live up to the hype the end of season one elicited. Keep up with The Mindy Project on Tuesdays at 9:30 P.M. on FOX.

American Horror Story: Coven

One of the creepiest shows on TV starts its new season with even more macabre, horrifying and grotesque stories. Although produced by the writers of Glee, there is nothing happy-go-lucky about American Horror Story. Seasons one and two follow tales of a haunted house and an insane asylum, respectively. The show uses the same cast in all the seasons, only changing the characters and roles of each actor. American Horror Story: Coven is set in the mid-19th century and modern day.  The plot surrounds a school in New Orleans that educates and protects the nearly extinct young witches. Zoe arrives to the school, hiding a horrifying power.  Along with gruesome displays of witchcraft and torture, voodoo also has a strong foothold in season three.  While the initial storyline may not seem frightening, repulsive images of torment and murder mixed with a looming presence of psychological fear will have you wishing the show did not start at 10 P.M.  Watch American Horror Story: Coven on Wednesdays on FX.

The Blacklist

If you’re looking for a show full of suspense and action, watching The Blacklist is a must.  Fugitive and mastermind criminal Raymond Reddington turns himself into the FBI to make a deal with them.  He has created a list of terrorists that the FBI doesn’t even know about. Reddington agrees to help the FBI target and kill these criminals, but only if he works with the newcomer Elizabeth Keen.  Reddington and Keen combat drug lords, Chinese mob leaders, assassins and human traffickers. With each episode focusing on a different case, the show promises fresh and gripping action throughout the season.  The show has adrenaline-pumping fighting and gruesome action scenes, resembling the popular show 24 that lasted eight seasons. The Blacklist has the potential to be as successful as 24 and guarantees a comprehensive and suspenseful plot. Questions such as why Reddington chose Keen and why he agreed to help the FBI in the first place will be answered.  The Blacklist airs every Monday at 10 P.M. on NBC.