A Holiday gift guide to avoid a “ho ho no”

A Holiday gift guide to avoid a ho ho no

As exams race around the corner, Saints resort to yuletide activities to stay steady in a sea of notecards. The merry tradition of Secret Santa is a popular trend among advisories, lunch tables, and English classes alike. But when you find your sleep-deprived scrambling for a gift the night before the big reveal, the question must be asked: What does your Secret Santa gift says about you?

Food is always the answer. When in doubt, sugar-coated anything with a reindeer on top will be sure to put a smile on your giftee’s face. If you are unsure of your recipient’s preference, ask their friends for their favorite type of candy and fill a gift bag up with delectable treats. In a hurry? Pick up a chicken biscuit on the way to school and present the lucky recipient with the gift of chick-fil-a.

If you want to impress others this holiday season, try whipping up a recipe off of Pinterest (do a trial run first; Pinterest recipes are full of empty promises). Baked goods show your recipient that you care deeply enough to take time out of your hectic day, but not enough to drop $20 on their gift.

Saints are notorious coffee drinkers. Did you see the look on the seniors’ faces when the coffee machine in the Grille only served decaf? Saints need caffeine like Santa needs his reindeers, and the caffeine addiction always spikes around exam time. So give the gift of sanity to your fellow scholar with a Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts gift card. The sweet comfort of a 3×2 plastic card says, “I’m here for you. Tenth grade English is only the beginning. Stay strong,” without having to spend three hours at Target.

People have feet. The Earth is cold. Socks are fuzzy. Socks are the perfect gift for a friend, an acquaintance and anyone in between. During this merry season, stores are packed with a variety of tacky knitwear for a convenient price. Pick up a festive pair from Target or CVS if you are in a pinch. Feel free to personalize your gleeful gift as well. If your giftee is outgoing, go for the knee high pair with dancing polar bears. If your giftee is more reserved, stick to a classic pattern like jingle bells or snowflakes. With the power of warm toes, your recipient will feel invincible to the unforgiving Florida cold.

If you take the extra step and get to know your Secret Santa recipient, you open a world of possibilities for a more meaningful gift. Find out what their favorite band is and get them a CD or a concert shirt. Slap their favorite team’s logo onto a hat or bag and they’ll be sure to open their gift with a smile. By getting your holiday companion something they would actually want, you won’t be left out in the cold come New Year’s.