A conversation with a not-so-average saint

EDEN SMALLEY

For this installment of Student in the Spotlight, I sat down with senior Caroline Carney.

You may have seen her laughing in the quad, working on the yearbook or cheering on the sidelines at football games. The spirited saint is often described by her peers as someone most likely to brighten your day.  As her final year of high school comes to a close, Carney gives us some insight on her growth at Trinity. Carney will graduate in May and will be attending University of Florida in the fall.

What makes you “average”?

Wow, that would be the absolute worst college application question. But you know what? There are so many things that I’m average at, and I’ve learned to embrace my middle-of-the-road ways.

Also, if you’re ever feeling bad about being average, just remember there’s a whole other half of people who are doing worse than you.

What makes you not-so-average?

I like to think that my outlook on life makes me different than the people that surround me everyday.

My friends always laugh at me when I say things like “I don’t know the meaning of stress” or “stress does not exist.” The way I see it is that in life you can either choose to worry about all the things on your plate, and I know all of our plates are pretty full, or you can choose to take all those things and do the best you can.

How many years at Trinity Prep?

After my glory days at Park Maitland, I joined the Trinity family in 7th grade.

Do you have any regrets in life?

I would say “no regrets” but that is way too cliché.

I like to think that instead of regretting choices that you make in life, it is better to learn from your mistakes grow from the experience. A quote that always sticks out to me is “never regret anything because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.”

What is your idea of a friend?

A friend is someone who is there for you no matter what: good and bad. It has taken me 18 years to figure this out, but the greatest friends I have made always bring me up and never put me down.

It is all about being there for people, but always know that the path to friendship is a two-way street, and you have to give just as much as you get.

What do you value the most?

I value the relationships that I have made throughout my lifetime.

Getting to know someone who you may have nothing in common with or have never spoken a word to is something I always have and always will value.

Has there been a moment in your Trinity Prep career that has changed you? 

Maybe not one moment, but I would say trying out for cheerleading was the best thing that ever happened to me during senior year. I wouldn’t trade anything for the people that I met and the friendships that I made. If I could give anyone a piece of advice, it would be to never be afraid to try something new, even if it seems scary or completely out of your comfort zone.

What concerns you?

In two months my life is going to completely change. I’m going to pack up all my things and leave the house that I’ve lived in my entire life. Concerned for college? Maybe a little… Life is too short and too exciting to worry about every little thing that’s coming in the future; you have to learn to live in the moment and take advantage of every opportunity that all of us are so blessed to have.

Have you ever been in love?

(laughs immensely) Wouldn’t you like to know…There are so many different kinds of love. I love my parents. I love my brother. I love my friends. But being in love with someone? Not sure. I just hope that one day I will find that one person who I’m meant to be with, whether it be someone I’ve already met or someone 3,000 miles away who has no idea I exist.

What is the meaning of life?

I like to think that this is the question that all of us are trying to answer every single day of our lives. It’s impossible to find one meaning in life just like it’s impossible to find two people who are exactly the same. Either way, I believe that it’s all about the journey to discover life’s meaning.