A conversation with a not-so-average saint

ELLIE CLAIRE GORDON

I sat down with sophomore Jimmy Hurley for this month’s “conversation with a not-so-average saint.”  You may have seen him in last year’s musical theater production of Alter Boyz and in the summer intensive play, Spamalot. Jimmy and I discussed everything from his sketchbook to Pack & Paddle to England.

Favorite moviez: The Breakfast Club

Favorite band/singer: Lana del Rey or Hozier

Favorite book: the Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin

Favorite play/musical: Once

What makes you average?

Everyone is average at some things, but no one really truly is average in a sense. Average is a weird word; there’s a lot of meaning to it. I’m average as in I go to Trinity, and I struggle through work like the average Trinity student.

What makes you not so average?

Everyone has their own special thing. Everyone is unique and different in their own way; people can be similar, but you’re never completely similar because everyone has a different opinion on something. Everyone’s unique, so I guess there are lots of things that make me not so average. Everyone has so much to them that it’s hard to choose one trait that makes them stand out from the average person.

What is your favorite activity that you’ve been involved in at Trinity?

The theater department. It’s a lot of fun to do all the shows. It’s never the same type of thing because Ms. Papin always has some sort of strange, new idea to plunge into and make us work really hard.  I’ve never really done many plays—this semester is the first one that I’ve done at Trinity.  It’s The Merry Wives of Windsor, and I’m the main character. I prefer musicals because musicals are a lot easier to remember because you’re memorizing to a tune.

What would be your dream role in a play or musical?

I don’t know. I don’t spend a lot of my free time doing musical and play stuff. I spend most of my free time drawing things in my sketchbook. I listen to a lot of music. I write poetry and do a lot of things other than theater outside of school.

Do you have a quote or piece of advice that you live by?

The Golden Rule: treat others the way you want to be treated. Treat everyone with respect and equality no matter who they are, because they’re a person and that’s what they should be judged for.

What do you value the most?

I value the freedom we are given and the places we are able to go and live. I’m glad we have freedom to be whom we want and say what we want.

What has been your favorite moment or memory at Trinity?

I’ve made a lot of good memories; it’s been a lot different from the other schools I’ve been to.  In the canoe part of [Pack & Paddle], I had to canoe with a teacher because I had no friends.  It’s more of a bittersweet memory because that’s how I met everyone I’m close to right now. People came up to me during that trip and said, “Oh, you’re lonely—do you want someone to talk to?” So I’d have to say Pack & Paddle was a good experience for me—well, somewhat.

What is the meaning of life?

That’s a brain-twister. I just think that the meaning of life in general is just to be the best person you can and follow your dreams instead of conforming to what society wants you to do.

Describe a time when you were happiest.

Probably the England trip in 2014. Those were some of the best memories I’ve ever had. My favorite part was either getting to know the people I went with or just learning [about] the whole culture. I fell in love with the culture and the idea of England.  It was the happiest I’ve ever been. That’s where I want to end up after college.

If you could live anywhere, where would you live?

I would live in London, hands down. It’s so pretty and cultural and old. I either want to be a psychologist of some sort or do art, like drawing or poetry. I would do things for West End if I ever got a chance.

What’s a change that you want to see?

A change I would like to see would be for Trinity to realize that you can’t grow Northern grass in Florida.