A secular guide to the Christmas season

A secular guide to the Christmas season

Oh boy, here it comes. Everyone one around you is putting up lights, wearing ugly sweaters and making plans for Christmas while you sit around twiddling your thumbs because you don’t celebrate the holiday. Don’t feel bad, because you are certainly not alone. According to a 2013 Pew Research poll, 10% of Americans don’t celebrate Christmas. So, what do these 30,000,000 people do each year? How do they respond to the constant bombardment of Christmas merchandise, food and events emanating from nearly every major industry? Here are some tips from a non-Christian to make your (non)holiday season a little more enjoyable.

Throughout the Season

Go shopping (especially on the days following Christmas).

Imagine the day after Halloween. All the candy in the world for half the price. Now take that idea and apply it to nearly every consumer product known to man. That, my friend, is December 26. Hit any store that had Christmas blowouts in the previous weeks because it’s likely that they have something left over. The clearance aisles will be stuffed more than stockings over a fireplace!

Hang out with your friends.

There’s bound to be someone who isn’t traveling for the break, so get connected with them. One idea is to celebrate Festivus, a parody holiday made famous by Seinfeld. Common activities include the Festivus Dinner, the Airing of Grievances and the Feats of Strength. You can celebrate it on its “official” date, December 23, or drag it out for a week to maximize the fun!

Remember that it is okay to not celebrate Christmas.

Look, I get that Christmas is a national holiday. I get that many people celebrate it without any religious connotation. But the reality is that some people just aren’t comfortable celebrating a holiday that originates from a different faith. So ignore the people who try to make you feel left out and tell them that you simply don’t want to partake in the festivities. Remember that you aren’t alone!

Don’t be a Grinch

Don’t proclaim your non-celebration to the world, because in reality, no one cares. You are one of literally billions who don’t take part in Christmas. Our society has reached a point where it isn’t taboo not to celebrate. Take a “Merry Christmas” greeting with a smile. A simple “You too” shows compassion and can make a person’s day. But please, don’t go off on a rant as to why it’s an ignorant thing to wish well being and happy times on someone, because that’s all anyone intends.

On Christmas Day

Travel.

You want to know who travels on Christmas Day? No one. Airports are empty, giving any would be travelers a mighty advantage over the expensive December month. Just last year, my family and I took advantage of the cheaper tickets to fly to London. Trust me, it’s worth it. In addition, many flights will be so empty that if you have any miles at all you may be upgraded.

Go to an Ethnic restaurant.

Hit up your local Jewish deli or Hibachi Grille. It may be a stereotype, but so many people do it that no one really cares. Find a local hole-in-the wall that will be hopping that night. Check Facebook or Twitter for meet-ups with others who choose not to cook in that night.

Go to the movies

Want to have an entire row to yourself? Head to a movie theater and go see a movie that’s been out for at least a few days. Although the tickets won’t be cheaper, it is still something fun to do if you want to avoid the crowds.

Hit the Great Outdoors

Similar to the idea of a movie theater, a state park or forest is a great way to get some peace and quiet during the bustling holiday season. Plus, Florida is so hot that the cold shouldn’t bother you anyways. So take a hike and head to Ocala National Forest or Wekiwa Springs State Park, two of my favorite spots.

I hope that these tips give you some ideas for things to do while your friends are under the mistletoe. Remember, just because you don’t celebrate the Christmas season doesn’t mean that you can’t be merry!