Beyond Birks: Three more ugly shoes to carry you through summer

The ugly shoe trend has officially morphed from a quirky trend into a closet fixture. In recent months, we have seen the renaissance of Birkenstocks, the chunky heel, and even for a brave but persecuted minority, crocs. This summer is the perfect time to brush off your most hideous footwear and add a few more to the mix. These three staples, not for the faint of heart, should carry you anywhere you want to go this summer in comfort and (relative) style.

• These yoga sling sandals may seem innocuous, but the plethora of truly awful prints they come in make up for any appearance of normalcy. I suggest wowing your AM yoga class with the neon fruit print or the chic camo. As if these shoes could not get any better, the company crafts the sole from real yoga mats to ensure maximum comfort. (38, sanuk.com)

• With the newest iteration the UGG Company’s furry flip flops, christened the Fluff Flip Flop II, they further prove the versatility of the shearling. The baby pink is especially a standout color for brunch or just lounging. Beyond looking like a small chinchilla, they also have the benefit of being some of the most comfortable shoes on the market. In the words of one enthusiastic reviewer, “Whenever I wear my [Fluff Flops], it feels like my feet are getting a hug! ;-)” (80, ugg.com)

• The Chacos Ultraviolet Collection solves a problem you didn’t even know you had… not being able to see your new terrible shoes in the dark! The newest Chacos addition retain the classic Chacos straps with one caveat: they literally glow in the dark so you can show off your excellent taste at all hours. (105, chacos.com)