Middle Schooler Finds Success With Greek Heritage

Aristides+Bakamitsos+with+relative+in+Athens%2C+Greece.++
Aristides Bakamitsos with relative in Athens, Greece.

Every Trinity student has their own individual background and talents that make them unique. Middle schooler Aristides Bakamitsos is no exception, as he strongly associates with his Greek background as well as his love for the arts. 

His dad was born and raised in Athens. Bakamitsos maintains a close relationship with his family, visiting every year for the entire summer. He stays with his Aunt and says that the culture really affects the way he views life in Florida, as traditions and cultural norms such as food is much different. 

His experience and education learned within his family Greek culture are used daily, as he speaks fluent Greek and often applies his culture to his everyday life. 

Last year, he took his talent as a fluent Greek speaker outside Greece and into his life in the United States. He decided to compete in a storytelling competition for the first time. The Youthful Voices Storytelling Association allows younger people to apply their language and performing skills through storytelling and win awards. 

He performed the Greek myth of Arachne. The story details a talented mortal weaver, who challenges Athena, goddess of wisdom and craft. This results in Arachne transforming into a spider. 

Bakamitsos told this story to the audience and ended up winning the competition, one of only 7 people to do so. 

The middle schooler not only uses his unique talents through Greek storytelling but also within Trinity itself. Through theatre and the middle school productions, Bakamitsos combines his love for the Greek language with his love for performing both in and out of school. 

He is also a part of the Trinity select choir class and is one of only three boys in the class. He doesn’t mind being in the minority within the class however, “it feels weird, but you get to know the guys really well,” said Bakamitsos. 

As a 7th grader, Bakamitsos agrees that he still has a lot of time in which he will be able to join more opportunities that allow him to utilize and combine his love for Greek culture with American culture.

View Comments (2)
CAITLIN HAWLEY
CAITLIN HAWLEY, LIFESTYLES
Caitlin Hawley is a senior at Trinity entering her first (and last) year on the Trinity Voice staff as a writer for the lifestyles department. When she is not writing, she can be found on the softball field, memorizing lines for the play, out of town for a forensics tournament or having a teenage life crisis. Caitlin loves salt, basketball games and Tik Tok. Contact at [email protected].

• E

Evgenia BakamitsosJan 31, 2020 at 7:14 pm

The relative is actually Aristides’s sister.

Reply
  • A

Aristides BakamitsosJan 31, 2020 at 3:12 pm

Awesome, except the photo is from Kythira, not Athens

Reply