Advice from Alumni

How did Trinity’s education compare to your freshman year of college?

It is similar in academic rigor.  The biggest change about going to college is how much free time you have.  In high school, you have eight to ten hours of your day scheduled for you every day between classes and after school activities, but in college you might only have 20 hours of class in the whole week.  The biggest transition in college was time management and doing much more work outside of the classroom than in it.

– Jon Weise ‘12

How important is it to know what you want to major in high school?

In high school, I didn’t know what I wanted to major in. I applied undecided to most schools (some make you choose a major on the app), and I’ve only recently figured out what I want study. It’s nice to have a general idea of what you’re interested in, but you’re going to be exposed to so many fields in college that you shouldn’t be surprised if you find you love some random subject you’d never thought to explore.

– Adede Appah-Sampong ‘19

Was the transition to make friends in college difficult?

Honestly? Not at all. Don’t worry about the transition from high school to college because it doesn’t matter in terms of friends/popularity. No matter what college you go to you will find a friend group. I thought I’d hate my college but I love it. It is an entirely different atmosphere from high school, and while I am still friends with many of the kids at Trinity, I have made so many friends with my same interests and vibe.

– Jordon Rupp ‘18

How was the food when you went to Trinity?

I was there back in the day when we had the open-air pagoda. So where the Grille is now it was the pagoda and on certain days of the week we would have Chick-fil-a. We also had frozen lemonade slushies.

– Kirby Miles ‘10

What was one thing you regret or would have done differently in high school?

No, I can’t say that I have any regrets. I enjoyed my time, it was an amazing experience. I am very grateful for the opportunities that I had to go there and also the opportunities that came about because I graduated from there. There really is no school like it in Central Florida. I think that it does an excellent job preparing you not just for college but for your career life beyond college. There’s always going to be a lot of pressure on you to make decisions about what you want to do with your life, especially in college. What do you want to be? What do you want to do when you graduate? I think it is perfectly fine not to know what it is that you want. It’s actually a better idea just to keep your options open and to try to experience as many things as you can and get a good idea for what it is that you truly enjoy, what directions you want to go in.

– Andrew Asher ‘91

Have you kept in close contact with any of your friends from Trinity?

Yes! The friends I made at Trinity I will have for life. As soon as The Voice staff reached out to me about this article, I immediately texted in the GroupMe I have with my TPS friends. We shared a lot of laughs as we reminisced on some of our favorite memories from our high school days.

– Caroline Carney ‘14

View Comments (1)
CAITLIN HAWLEY
CAITLIN HAWLEY, LIFESTYLES
Caitlin Hawley is a senior at Trinity entering her first (and last) year on the Trinity Voice staff as a writer for the lifestyles department. When she is not writing, she can be found on the softball field, memorizing lines for the play, out of town for a forensics tournament or having a teenage life crisis. Caitlin loves salt, basketball games and Tik Tok. Contact at [email protected].

• J

Jonny SampongNov 21, 2022 at 4:27 pm

Thank you for the help @Adede

Reply