Going Out on a High Note

Senior performs in what will be her last musical before graduation
Reese Taylor
Seniors Maansi Chandra and Dalton Joseph as Deb and Walter Hobbs in a office scene.

The lights dim as Senior Maansi Chandra takes a bow on the stage after performing what will be her last musical performance at Trinity before graduation. 

Chandra played Deb in the all-school musical “Elf” that was shown the first week of November. She was one of four seniors performing, and it was the largest role she has taken on. 

Chandra has faced some challenges during the process of preparing for the show. 

“It’s been a little bit of a different experience just because I am not used to doing big dance numbers,” Chandra said. “And there’s one number in the play, that is me and Buddy, and we are the two main people up front dancing. And dancing hasn’t always really been a strength of mine. But I’ve had to kind of get out of my shell.”

As the play has progressed, Chandra has been working to improve her initial fear of dancing. 

“I have enjoyed the challenge of playing Deb despite the dance number, and because of this challenge, I am not scared to do big dance numbers,” Chandra said.

Chandra has been performing since 10th grade and has been a part of the school choir since sixth grade. She enjoyed singing and took that passion into her time in theatre. 

“Going into 10th grade I did the Summer Intensive ‘Once on this Island,’” Chandra said.  “And I thought to myself, ‘you know what, I really like this,’ and Miss Papin wanted me to come and join thespians and so then in my junior year I did all the shows that were offered to us.” 

Chandra and others interested in the fine arts at Trinity said they owe their success in “Elf” to a few people who have encouraged them and helped them along the way. 

“I definitely think that I owe a lot to at least Miss Kathy and Miss Papin,” Chandra said.  “Really, I owe them a lot of thanks, because they’ve taken so much time out of their schedule to come in and be our directors. I definitely think that they have really put a lot of effort in.”

“Elf” will be one of Chandra’s last shows at Trinity. 

“It’s definitely a little bit more sad, just because I’m kind of thinking, wow, this is the beginning of the end,” Chandra said. “The end of my shows at Trinity, and the end of my time on the stage since I’ve been here since sixth grade. So, it’s definitely hitting me just a little bit more.”

In the days leading up to the show, Chandra was both nervous and excited for the show. 

“It’s a show for everyone,” Chandra said. “It’s a show for kids. It’s a show for adults. I mean, everyone knows ‘Elf’ as a Christmas movie. So I’m excited.”